Part 27: Dangerous Game

Start from the beginning

He rolled off of me, and I tried to get away. He refused to let it happen. As soon as he was settled on his side, he pulled me back towards him, wrapping his arm around my waist, as my back pressed against his chest. Not wanting to fight, I gave in, resting into him. I closed my eyes and tried to go to sleep. As I was drifting off, I hear Xander whispering to me.

“Love, you’re killing me... Stop struggling against me…?  Why, baby girl, why do you have this wall around you?”  He snuggled closer into me, as I finally drifted off to sleep.

*

*

*

The fog is too thick. I can’t see more than a few feet in front of me. How am I supposed to find where I need to go?

I feel myself running, racing to get to, to what I don’t know.  Tears blind me. Fear and anxiety fill me. How was I going to get there in time?

Suddenly everything changes. I’m looking at myself, but I looked different, my clothes, hair, even my stance. I reach out to touch my reflection.

Everything went black.

*

*

*

Waking up screaming, having no clue where I was. Everything was black. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe.

“Ava. Ava, wake up.”  I was being shaken by Xander; as he was trying to get me to fully wake-up.

I was awake; I was struggling against him, trying to catch my breath, trying to get the damn hoodie off my head, so I could see. “Bastard! I am awake!” I grunted.

I stopped pushing against him, went limp in his arms. Hoping this will get his attention. Finally in the harshest tone I could muster I said, “Xander, get the fuck off me”.

Finally, he realized that he was part of my problem. Once he removed his grip and let me go, I started to feel like I could gain control over my emotions.

“Ava, are you ok?”

I nodded.

Then he asked, “What the hell was that?”

“Nothing, just a bad dream. I’m fine.” I said as I got out of bed to go wash my face. I needed to get away and breathe a little. I felt like I was suffocating.

I was shocked the Xander let me go. I half expected him to hover over me, while I tried to calm myself down.

After ripping off the hoodie, I returned to bed. Laying down I turned to face Xander.  I knew there was no way to hide now. I was going to have to talk to him.

“So, are you going to tell me what this is all about?” He asked.

“Do I have too?”

“No, but I wish you would. I want to know everything about you, including the things that make smile and cry.”

I was shocked that again he gave me my space. Allowing me the time I needed to collect myself.

“It was just a bad dream.”

“Do have them a lot?”

“Ummm, yeah. I suppose so.”

I could tell he wanted to pry more, but didn’t. I figured I should just break down and tell him now. He was going to find out sooner or later.

“You see.” I started.  “I usually have them right before something bad happens to someone I care about.”

“Ok. Do you remember them?”