Part 5: Road to Hell

He made our way to the highway, heading north. Turning around from time to time, I kept trying to reassure Grace that everything was going to be ok. She would return my smiley weakly, trying to hide the tears forming behind her eyes. Seeing her like that caused me to choke back back my own tears.;

Hiding my fear, I refused to look at him. This monster.  Focusing on the and the scenery outside, I dreaded every moment, trying to formulate a plan to get us to safety, while beating myself up in side for not running in the first place when I had the chance. 

Like typical Northwest weather, it began to rain. I watched as rain drops hit and rolled down the windows like tears. The tears I was fighting so hard to fight came rolling from the sky, foreshadowing the night ahead. 

Every once in a while, I would turn around to check on Grace. After a few long hours of silence, she finally fell asleep in the back seat. I prayed for her to have a peaceful rest and get away from the horror of our predicament. Dreams being the only escape from our reality. How I wished she was tucked into her bed at home.

I hated this feeling of being helpless and scared. I hated him.

Miles drifted away as hours passed. I refused to acknowledge his presence. His seemed to fill the car with is aura, almost suffocating me. After a while, he reached over and gently caressed my cheek. Flinching, I turned away. Abruptly, he took ahold of my chin, turn my face towards him. I tried with all my strength to resist, but failed.

“You know, after a while you are going to crave my touch. It seems like a waste of time for you to reset it”.

Through my teeth I hissed “In your dreams, you will always repulse me. You can force me to be here, but you cannot make me conform. The sooner you realize you’re wrong about me being your mate, the sooner I can send me back to my normal life. You are nothing to me and will always be nothing to me. You’re a fucking monster.”

Anger over took him. His whole being radiated rage. Again, his eyes turned black, and face started to distort into the creature he truly was.  His driving became erratic. He reached speeds way over 100mph, weaving in and out of traffic. 

“Oh Shit”.  What have I done?  We’re going to die in a traffic accident, because I couldn’t keep my big mouth shut. For the sake of all of us, I need to calm him down.

The only thing I could do was apologize.  “I’m sorry.”  I said weakly, while reaching out touch his arm. Hoping this is enough to calm to drive at normal speeds.

Thankfully, it did the trick. Slowly he reduced his speed, and started moving with the flow of traffic. I exhaled, surprised that I had been holding my breath. I started sinking back into the comfortable leather seat. After a few more moments of silence, I drummed up the courage to ask; “How much longer before we get to where we’re going?”

“Why, don’t you like my driving love?” He said with a smirk.

“We have just been driving for a while now, and it would be nice to stretch our legs and use the restroom. Would this be possible?”

He seemed to think about it, and but didn’t answer.

Was he trying to pissed me off or make me beg. If I could, I’d rip him to pieces.  He was such an arrogant son of a bitch. Again I asked, “So how much longer, or can we stop? I don’t think it is an unreasonable request, is it?”

“We still have a few more hours before we get to your new home. We can pull off, so you can take care of business, love. But need I remind you that if you run, there will be consequences. Do I make myself clear?”

Feeling defeated, I said, “Yes… Yes, you make yourself clear. Very clear.” Deep down I should have ran last night.  Believe me I regret the moment I walked in my front door this evening. Even though I was looking out the passenger window, I could see his reflection in the glass, and knew he was doing everything in is power to keep under control. For this, I was grateful, but I knew I had to get Grace to safety, and fast. This might be my only chance.

 PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE, FAN, AND COMMENT