Part 13: Family Dinner

Leaving the bedroom I did not know what to expect, but I decided that I was going to try to enjoy myself, at least for tonight. Maybe by making Xander think I am falling for him, he’ll loosen the reins, leaving the door open for Grace and I can find our way to freedom. I knew I had to keep a clear head and the eye on the prize, which was our freedom?

Walking arm in arm we made our way through the house. I liked the sensation of him next to me, even though I tried to fight the feeling.

I was in awe of the massiveness an openness of his house. It looked old, but had a modern feel, even with the wood paneling and oversize furniture. Everything was done in dark rich colors, with little hints of a feminine touch, with fresh flowers in every room. The grandeur and luxury was impressive. Trying to mask my wonderment, I took in everything around me. Making sure to take note where exit doors were and other items of interest.

Walking into a lavish room I assumed was a parlor, we finally came across Grace and Nicole. They were both sitting on a huge sectional couch laughing up a storm, acting like they have been best friend for the whole life. Listening to them, helped put my mind at ease. Knowing that Grace had someone to keep her company, while I was being kept captive by Xander. Even if that someone was a vampire. I kept telling myself that he wouldn’t but Gracie in danger. Because if he did, I would never forgive him, which would cause him to not get what he wants. Me.   

Nicole turned to us when we entered the room, and Grace followed her gaze. Grace looked at me she let out a whistle.

“WOW! Mom, you look hot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you look like that. You sure don’t look like a mom right now.”

“Ummm, thank you. I guess. Sheesh, kid. You act like all I wear are mom jeans.” With that, we all busted out laughing.

“So are we readying for dinner?” Xander asked

“Yes.” Everyone replied at once.

“Great, in honor of our first meal together, I have asked Cook to make Ava’s favorite. Pork Chops and Brussels sprouts.” Exclaimed Xander.

Grace and I made eye contact and busted up laughing. Grace almost rolled off the couch to the floor. Both Xander and Nicole looked at us like we had lost it.

Xander asked, “What is so funny? Isn’t that your favorite dinner?”

“Well, you see it is someone’s favorite, but not mine. A actually prefer pasta.”  I said.

“Awe, I see. So I take it is Grace’s favorite meal.” Laughing Xander said, “That explains why she was giggling when she told me. Oh, well…. It will still be enjoyable.”

“That it will.” I agreed. Trying to keep the mood light.

Walking into the dining room, I noticed that dinner was already sitting on the table, waiting for us. Everything looked and smelled so good. Not only were there the requested items. There were fresh fruits, salad, rice, rolls and wine. Looking at the food, made my mouth water some. I really hadn’t eaten much for in a few days.

 Xander pulled out a chair for me to sit on, to his left, while Grace and Nicole sat on his right. The minute we sat down, we all started chit chatting as we passed the dishes around the table.

“Xander?” Grace asked

“Yes, Grace?”

“So if you’re a vampire, why are you eating real food?”

I almost fell out of my chair. Grace knew what he was? I couldn’t believe had candid she was with him. It had to the compulsion.  Nobody seem to notice of acknowledge my astonishment. It was like this was typical dinner conversation.

“Well, Grace. Vampires do not need to eat human food to survive. I guess you can say we get our vitamins from blood. Still, there are times that I grave a good steak or good glass of wine.”

“Oh.” Grace replied. Her eyes were huge with interest.  

“Now, to get deeper into the subject and answer some of the other questions I know you might have. Yes, human blood is preferred, but animal blood will work in a pinch. Some of my kind lives just off of animal blood. They are not as strong as vampires that live off human blood, but they are still stronger than any human. Furthermore, not all vampires are mean and kill humans. Some learn to live socially with humans, vampires, witches, and werewolves a like”.  

Crap! Witches, vampires, werewolves. What the hell, where are the dragons, fairies, and talking rabbits. I swear I have walked into a living nightmare. Chills ran up my spine, while Grace on the other hand looked like she hit the mother lode. The dinner conversation kept on these lines, talking about supernatural entities and so on. After eating my fill and two glasses of wine, I finally was able to find the conversation interesting. I took as many mental notes as possible, figuring that it would probably come in handy.

I realized that along with believing that I was mate. Xander had super strength, hearing, and speed. I already knew he could compel humans, except me, which was good. I guess. He could go into the sunlight, and preferred human blood. He didn’t have to drink from a human. So technically I wasn’t his human blood bag, which was a plus. Still, none of this was boding well for our escape. Shit. What the hell was I going to do?

After dinner, we all moved back into the parlor, were I enjoyed more wine, while Xander had something stronger. After a while, Grace and Nicole decided to head to the movie room, to watch something. I really didn’t catch the name of it. I was just happy she wasn’t being locked into in a room, alone.  

Once they left, the feeling in the room changed. Again I was alone with Xander. It must have been the wine, because for a moment I didn’t want to run, I wanted to him to stay right next to me. Almost of if Xander could read my mind, he walked over to me, and held his hand out in front of me. Taking his hand, he pulled me up into his arms. The next thing I knew, my arms were around his neck, as he carried me back upstairs, to what was presumably our room. I didn’t understand how he did it, and why I let him carry me. I was afraid that I would be losing this round of the game. It has to be the wine, I told myself. That is my story and I’m sticking to it.