Chapter Eight | We Sit in the Dark

ابدأ من البداية

“This is the girl’s bathroom!” she cried, whirling around.

“I know,” he said, peering into a stall “And its considerably cleaner than the guys. Good gossip, too.”

Flushing scarlet, Noel took off her glasses and cleaned them vigorously “You’re not a girl.”

“I know – and I don’t think Marjorie Flint would want me to eat caramel out of her bellybutton if I was.” He laughed, eyes scrawling down the bathroom stall wall.

“I think you’re missing the point.” She said “If you’re caught in here the principle will practically threaten you with the strap.” Narrowing her eyes at him, Noel crossed her arms “What are you doing in here anyway?”

“Oh you know, catching up on my AyCa tittle-tattle.” He laughed at the look on her face and leaned against the wall “Oh come on Angel, lighten up. I wanted to talk to you, and this seemed like a pretty good place to ambush you.”

She swallowed, feeling a hiccup bubbling up “Ambush?”

Gabriel nodded “Yeah, since you’re so good at avoiding me.”

“I was avoiding you for a reason, but I don’t think you caught on.” She moved for the door “Let me spell it out for you: I don’t want you near me. You’re nuts, Gabriel, plain and simple. You scared the bejeezus out of me, and feed me all this nonsense about gods and seers and-and chickmeras!”

“Chimera.” He corrected “And I didn’t meant to scare you Angel, honest.”

“And stop calling me Angel!” she cried “My name is Noel. Not neighbour, not birdie, undeniably not Angel. Noel.”

“I’m sorry Noel.” Said Gabriel softly “Just hear me out.”

Noel shook her head “No.” she said coolly “I don’t want to hear any more of your faerie tales – leave me alone.”

The look on Gabriel’s face made Noel know that what she’d said was low, lower than anything she’d insulted him with before. Not looking back, Noel ran out of the bathroom, screams telling her that someone had found Gabriel.

Serves him right she thought bitterly cornering me in there.

But part of you kind of liked it sniggered her conscience I mean, Gabriel Darcy cornering you in the loo…

Refusing to talk to herself, Noel thought wistfully of the winter holidays, only hours away.

                  With the final school bell Noel made a beeline for her locker, brightening when she saw Ned and Corrie waiting for her.

“Ready for the ultimate gore?” asked Ned, obviously excited “I heard it’s made tons of people puke!”