Chapter 31 - The Last Meeting Place

Mike went off on his own, to visit the local law enforcement. I didn't even know if this place had any type of constabulary. Other than the reason we are here, it doesn't look like it has any need to have anything in place. Me, Claire, and Cleo, acted as tourists, speaking to the locals, visiting the nearby shops. We hinted several times to a few people about the Manor, and it was always met with silence.

These people looked scared. Not wanting to associate themselves with anyone who asks questions.

Sinister, was looking more likely a word to describe this place. We did, however, bump into a young couple, who had been on the island for a few days. They told of strange noises in the night. A lot of unusual activity, that was not expected for this type of place. They assumed it was some sort of local thing, and tried their best not to get involved. They looked afraid to even mention it, incase we were part of what they could hear, and was trying to catch them out.

"Hey. Girls. Over here."

I looked around to see where the whisper was coming from. There was nothing. At first, I thought I was hearing things, until...

"Over here, behind the shoe shop."

"Alec?"

"Shush, keep it down. Quick."

We went behind the shop, to find Alec, who was clearly in a state of panic.

"Where's Mike?"

"Alec, what's wrong?"

"I need to find Mike."

"You're scaring me now Alec."

"Okay, listen up. You remember me telling you about the other Manor in Wales?"

"Yes?"

"When I was there at the start, I recall seeing about a dozen, or so, recruits. Similar to what you were Cleo. It appears that not all of them were killed. I have been here for ten minutes, and already recognised two people, blending in with the locals. The whole island is on this. Either that, or the few that are not, will do whatever they are told, to have a quiet life here."

"Alec? Are you sure?"

"Cleo, I need you to stay as much out of sight as possible. If they are going to recognise anyone, it is you and me."

"Alec, they were all killed at the....."

"Shut up Cleo, for one damn minute. I am not messing around here. This has just got very serious, very quickly. I thought this would be just a smash and grab. We go in, we get what we came for, and we get the hell out of here, but not anymore. Claire, Annabel, it is up to you two, to get Mike, and the three of you meet us here."

Alec gave Claire a map, and pointed to an abandoned house, about half a mile west of the island.

"I'm sorry about the dramatics, but this is not going to be as easy as I thought. Please, just get Mike, and meet us here."

"Alec, I've never seen you like this before, and I'm not sure if Mike is going to like it."

"Claire, I know you have a loyalty to Mike, and he has done amazing things to get us to this point, but this is not cops and robbers. There is going to be a high level of supernatural here, and only myself and Cleo have dealt with this before. You have to understand Claire. You have to get Mike on my side. We all have the same goals, and he has to let go of the reins, and allow me and Cleo, to take control."

"Okay, I'm going to trust you Alec. I will do what I can."

I'm not being funny here, but that was the type of team talk, I didn't want to hear. I was absolutely terrified. I could feel Taylor. I could sense he was close. It was like he was calling out to me. Crying for his mother.

"Annabel, wait, before you go. Aaron told me to tell you he will be there for you, and to be strong."

"What? You best had not be playing games with me Alec!!"

"This isn't a game."

"Then why doesn't he tell me himself?"

"He can't, and you know why, so please, don't ask. He just wanted me to tell you as soon as I saw you, and to let you know he is okay."

So it was true. He sacrificed himself, to warn me. My future is to kill Edith.

"Alec, one more thing."

"Quickly?"

"What does he mean? where will he be?"

"Annabel, please, just go with Claire, and get Mike."

Alec and Cleo ran off, and I was rooted to the spot.

"Annabel, we need to get Mike."

"Claire, I don't know what to do anymore. One minute I feel so confident, and then something hits me like a brickwall, and I'm on my knees again."

"Taylor."

"What?"

"That is all you need to think about, Taylor."

She was right, I just need to get past the finish line now.

"We didn't need to look to far for him afterall, Annabel."

"Who?"

"Mike, here he comes now."

"Hey, where's Cleo?"

"Mike, we need to talk. Alec is here."

"About time. Where is he? Where is Cleo?"

I sat down against the wall, as Claire told Mike, what Alec had told us. As Claire predicted, he didn't take it too well. I didn't care anymore. I was sick and tired of all this male testosterone flying around between them both.

"Will you just take your head out of your arse for once Mike!!"

"Woahh Annabel? Where did that come from?"

"I'm sorry Claire, but this is taking the piss now. Mike, please, just let Alec do what he needs to do, and work with him. I know this is your case, but it was you that asked Alec to help, and without him, we would still be sat in that hostel, scratching our arses. You have done your part, and he is doing his part. Just remember, he has a reason to be here, just as much as I do, so just swallow your ego, and let's go."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry Mike, just help me."

Claire looked at me and smiled, before we headed off to the meeting point. We had to climb the hill that overlooked the village, and in the distance, I could see a huge house. This was the house that held my destiny, my son, and I was scared.

"I'm sorry again Annabel, for..."

"Please Mike, I just want this to end, and I don't want to keep listening to you and Alec argue, about who has the biggest set of balls."

"I understand Annabel. I guess me and Alec have the tendancy to get ahead of ourselves, and it always clashes. I am here to help you. I have been since day one, and I will be here, as we walk off this island, together."

"And what if we don't Mike?"

"Don't what?"

"Walk off this island together? What if some of us don't make it that far? I mean, I have seen some of the most craziest crap, and I have a feeling that it hasn't even scratched the surface, of what lays in store for us at that house. Aaron gave me a warning. A warning that I'm still trying to work out. I have from now, until we get inside that house, to work out what the hell he means. If I don't, then I have a feeling, that I won't be walking off this island with you Mike."

"I will not let anything happen to you Annabel."

"Save it Mike. Just stop before you start making promises, because I'm done with hearing them now. As long as Taylor is safe, and is taken away from this island, nothing else matters."

I guess I now understand what Aaron's warning was. Either I kill Edith, or she will kill me.