Chapter 21 - Blood Lines

Alec went soon after. Mike was good, but Alec seemed to command the situation. He was passionate at what he does, and I now have someone I can rely on to not hesitate when the time comes.

Claire came with me upstairs, as Mike and Andrew stayed with Alec.

"What's on your mind Annabel?"

"I feel confident, but scared a little."

"I'm glad you're getting more positive now, and I can see where your fear is coming from. Alec is very straight forward."

"Did you not feel it Claire?"

"Are you talking about that chill in the room, when you and Alec shook hands?"

"Yes, it was not good Claire."

"No disrespect Annabel, but ghost stories are not something I pay too much attention to."

"Do you think that what I saw in the cemetery was my imagination?"

"No, well, I don't know Annabel. You went to that place with the sole intention of seeing Aaron's grave. Your emotions and love for him, may have got the better of you. I would like to think I'm wrong, but, seeing is believing, and until I see something, I just can't accept something like that, I'm sorry."

"I respect what you say Claire. Even I was like you, until tonight, and after what happened downstairs, I'm even more convinced."

"Look, you need to get some rest. I don't know what will happen with me and Andrew now that Mike is back. We will probably get assigned to another detail."

"I want you to stay on my case Claire. I will speak to Mike."

"I'm afraid that's out of your hands, and mine. But, I will follow this case very closely, and if you ever need me, just call for me, okay?"

"I will make sure you stay on this case Claire. You've been a huge help this weekend. Thank you so much for putting up with me, and sorry about sneaking out tonight."

"Don't worry about it. Now get some sleep."

After Claire had gone, I lay back and closed my eyes. I knew I needed to sleep, and I could still hear the dim drones of everyone's voices, downstairs. The whole night was playing on my mind.

"You are never getting Taylor back!!"

"Who's there?"

"He is with me, and he will remain with me."

"Who the hell are you!!? Where are you!!?"

"Annabel, it's just a dream, she can't hurt you. She does not have our son"

"Aaron? What's happening?"

"Aaron can't help you now bitch. Nobody can."

"Don't you speak to her that way!!!"

"Aaron, please, who are you talking to? I'm scared."

"Die!!"

I woke up to see Mike standing at the doorway, and then rushing towards me. I jumped out of bed and saw Claire laying on the floor.

"Annabel!! What have you done?"

"I didn't do nothing Mike. I just woke up and now this. What's happening?"

"Mike, it's fine, it was my fault."

"Can one of you tell me what the hell is going on!?"

Mike helped Claire up, and sat her on the bed, before going to the bathroom for some tissue. Her nose was pouring with blood. I glanced towards the window, and saw the sunlight creeping in through the gaps of the curtains.

"I don't understand? It was night time just moments ago?"

"Annabel, calm down."

"Calm down!? What has just happened Claire!?"

"I came to wake you. Your arm swung across and hit me in the face, I just lost my balance."

"Did you see anything in the room when you came in Claire? Hear any voices?"

"No, Annabel."

"Hey Claire, you should come in here and see this."

I walked into the bathroom with Claire and saw Mike standing next to the mirror. I stumbled back and started shaking at what was written on the glass.

"No, no, no, this isn't real!!"

"Claire, get her out of here!!"

Claire dragged me out, as I started screaming.

"Mike, help me with her."

"Check her arms Claire."

"What the hell are you doing? Get off me!!"

"We have to check Annabel, stay still."

They were like a pair of animals, tugging at my clothes. I struggled, kicking and screaming. Mrs. Tennant burst through the door and started hitting at them.

"Get off of her!"

"Mrs. Tennant, please, we are not attacking her. We need to check her for wounds!"

"She's clean Mike, she has nothing."

"Okay, everyone needs to calm down. I'm sorry Annabel, but we needed to check."

"You think I did that!!? Get the hell away from me!"

"Can the three of you please explain what this is about?"

"In the bathroom Mrs. Tennant. Look at the mirror."

I watched as she walked to the doorway of the bathroom. Then looked away as I saw her hand cover her open mouth. The room fell silent. One minute I'm hearing voices, and I'm wasn't sure if I was dreaming that. The next minute, all hell brakes out, and it appears now, that the voices, were not in my dreams. I know one of them was Aaron, but I don't know the other. And whoever the other belonged to, is responsible for writing in blood on the bathroom mirror.