Chapter 18 - Time For Taylor

I ran inside the house, frantically looking for my phone. I had no idea how I was even thinking these horrible thoughts. As soon as I found it, I rang his phone endlessly with no answer. This thought was so powerful, that I could taste what was coming. I decided to call a taxi, and go round to his apartment.

When I got there, his car was gone. I banged on his door and there was no answer.

"Think Annabel, come on, think!"

Damn, it was no good. Nothing was coming to mind. Maybe I was just imagining everything. Maybe he is fine. I had no other contacts for him. I knew I should have got his sister's number that day. I even called Paul, he hasn't seen or heard from Aaron since the party. I should just go back home and wait for him.

The ride back home seemed long. Almost like a dream. Giving me too much time to think about everything. He is going to be fine, he will come and visit me later, he said it himself. Once I got to the house, I seen my aunt's car outside, I could really do with a hug right now.

"Annabel? Is that you?"

"Yes. Where are you?"

"Can you come upstairs please?"

She has a tone. I know that voice very well. Here comes some sort of lecture, probably about the state of my room, or the makeup all over the bathroom.

"You want to explain this?"

"Where did you find that?"

"Don't you even try it! Don't you dare tell me this is not yours Annabel!"

"Okay, it's mine, but where did you find it?"

"If you wanted to keep this a secret, it may have been best to not leave the test on top of the bin."

"I'm sorry aunt, I'm scared, I don't know what to do."

"You are seventeen years old, and from the look at this, pregnant!"

"Please, I've had a rough day, can this wait till later?"

"You have had a rough day? Do you know how many rough days you will have in nine months time? You will abort this baby Annabel. You have to much to live for than to throw it away over a mistake!"

"I will not abort anything!! How dare you suggest such a thing!!"

"Whilst you are living under my roof, you will do as you are told!"

"I can't believe what I'm hearing. Fine. We will play it your way."

I marched into my room and started throwing anything I could into my suitcases. I could hear my aunt, stomping all over the house, screaming how much of an embarrassment I am. How disgusting I was for getting pregnant. I'm done. I'm done with that bitch always trying to replace my mother. I don't need her. I don't need anyone. I dragged my cases down the stairs, after calling for a taxi. I had no idea where I was going to go. I still had a lot of money in my savings account, from my parents. It should be enough to get me by, for now.

"Where the hell do you think you are going!?"

"I've had enough, I'm leaving. If you can't support me, then there is no point me being here!"

"If you leave this house Annabel, you are not welcome back!"

"Can you see this door opening? Good. Now you can watch the damn thing close behind me!"

"Annabel!"

I felt like a new woman, as I struggled down the path to the waiting taxi. A new me, a new life away from here, away from everything. As we drove away, I sent a message to Aaron, not to go to the house, but to call me first.

"Where to love?"

"Anywhere. Actually, just take me to the nearest bed and breakfast."

"Well the nearest one is on the high street, but, it just come on the radio, that there was a huge crash. All roads in that area are closed off."

"Fine, just take me to the next nearest one."

Oh my God. These dreams are getting more and more real. My eyes shot open, as if being electrocuted, as I jumped out of bed. I could have stopped him. I had the power to stop Aaron leaving. Why didn't I try harder. I still don't believe he is gone. I need proof. I need to see his grave.

I looked out of my window to see Claire and Andrew in their car. I think it was them. It was still dark outside. I need to get out of here and see Aaron. I got dressed as quickly as I could, and then quietly opened the window, leading onto the fire escape. As I climbed down into the alley, I thought of only one cemetery, that Aaron could have been in.

It was only a twenty minute walk, but I ran. I ran faster and harder than ever before as the tears streamed down my face. Closure was minutes away. Time to finally say goodbye to Aaron.

As I approached the huge iron gates of the cemetery, my heart raced. I squeezed through an opening, then looked out in front of me at the mass sea of graves, as the moonlight lit up the graveyard. I was never going to find him. I slowly walked forward to start my search when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"You shouldn't be here child."

"Who the hell are you?"

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have crept up on you like that. My names Benjamin. I'm like the caretaker if you will."

"You have to help me. I need to find someone. I need proof."

"And you are not the first. You know, it is not safe for people to come around here at night. But, you seem upset. I have a catalogue of everyone in here, it will speed up your search. Walk with me to my office."

As we walked, I could feel a chill rushing around me. It was scary. Scary, because it was a warm night. Benjamin talked of his love for caring for the dead. It seemed odd, but as we passed gravestone after gravestone, it was clear that he took pride in making them all look clean and tendered to. As we got to his office, he pulled out a huge book from his cupboard. There were pages and pages of names.

"So, child, what is the name you are looking for?"

"Aaron. Aaron Peterson."

"Hmmm, here we are. Plot 278. I will take you over."

Please please please don't be him. There has to be loads of people by that name.

"That's the grave over there. I will give you a few minutes alone, and then you really need to leave. Perhaps you can come back during the day. But for now, just a few minutes."

"Thank you."

I slowly walked over to the grave, gripping the necklace Aaron gave me. As I got to the headstone, I sank to my knees as my worst fears were confirmed. Aaron was dead.

"Why did you go? Why?"

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm not ready yet Benjamin, please, just a couple more minutes."

"You are ready Annabel."

"Aaron!"

"I'm sorry I had to leave. Now go. Go get my son. Our child. Go get Taylor."