Chapter 28 - Miranda Rights

The four of us sat there, well, five if you include Paul, as Mike delivered his speech to the waiting media. Claire was going through Paul's phone, and I watched Paul the whole time, as I listened to Mike on TV, and the panic was etched onto his face. He knew he had no chance to warn Edith, and he knew that as soon as Mike came back, he would be spending the rest of his sorry ass life in prison. Me personally, would execute the bastard, right here, right now, but that's too easy.

"You do know that faking your death is illegal, don't you Annabel?"

"Hey, didn't I tell you to shut up?"

"It's okay Alec, I'll handle this. Listen to me Paul, and listen good. When it comes to Taylor, I will do anything to get him back safely. Even if it means I have to go to prison. As long as he is away from people like you. Once upon a time, I would have done the same for you, but family values is something you lack. You would turn your own mother over, if it meant you make a fast buck."

"I had no choice Annabel."

"Of course you had a choice. You have a wealthy family, so don't you dare tell me you needed the money. I will find out the real reason you done this, eventually."

"How did you know it was me? And how did you know I would get Edith to watch the news?"

"Let's just say, you underestimate the power of death."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"Okay Annabel, enough now. Mike is just wrapping it up. Claire, have you found anything on Paul's phone?"

"Ohh man, there is enough evidence in here to put him away for a very long time. We also now have the bonus of having Edith's number."

"Where are you going Annabel?"

"Don't worry Alec, the news has finished. Mike and Andrew will be back here any minute, so I'm getting my things together, and then we're going to get Taylor."

I couldn't believe this was it. Two weeks of waiting. Two weeks of pure agony. And now, things were starting to move forward quickly. I was full of adrenaline, confidence, and my hope of getting Taylor back, was fully renewed. I went downstairs to see Mrs. Tennant. I wanted to thank her for everything she had done.

"Mrs. Tennant?"

I looked everywhere for her, before eventually feeling a hand on my shoulder.

"Cleo! You scared me."

"Sorry Annabel. Didn't mean to do that."

"Have you seen Mrs. Tennant?"

"Alec decided it was safer for her to go out whilst all this was happening. She shouldn't be long."

"I want to see her before we go."

And with that, the door opened, and Mike and Andrew walked in.

"Mike!"

"How did it go? Did it sound convincing enough?"

"Well, let's just say, it feels weird to actually be classed as officially dead."

"It was all we could do to get the media away. Now we are free to move around. Was I right about Paul's reaction?"

"Yeah, he's upstairs now, and in a state of shock."

"Let's go and pay him a visit then."

We went back upstairs, and I was wondering what Mike would think when he see's what I did to Paul's face. To be honest, I didn't even think I had that in me, so he should be proud.

"Hello Paul, remember me? You probably recognise me from the hit TV show called the news?"

"You won't get awa..."

"Keep it shut, I don't want to hear it. Your DNA was found in Annabel's apartment. And by the looks of it, all over your face too. What happened here Alec?"

"Annabel happened."

"Well I can hardly say you didn't deserve that Paul."

"I can get you charged with police brutality!!"

"Last time I checked, Annabel was not on the police force. I'm arresting you Paul Cosworth, for the deaths of the seventeen people who perished in the fire that you started. Also, for the deaths of Aaron Peterson, and his auntie, Julie Peterson. You are also being charged with the kidnapping of Taylor Thomas, and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do say, can, and will, be used against you, in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. Should you not be able to afford an attorney, one will be provided to you, free of charge. But, somehow, I don't think money will be an issue."

The look on his face, was priceless.

"You ready Annabel?"

"Yes."

"Good. Claire, I want you to take Paul to the station with Andrew, then meet us at the boat terminal, in Dover. Andrew, I want you to stay behind to be our eyes and ears on the mainland. Cleo, did you get what I asked for?"

"Yes, they are in Alec's car."

Mike was like a new man. I could see the pressure of this case was getting to him early on, until he brought Alec in to it. Now, he is earning his reputation, and commanding respect without even trying.

His confidence was growing, and that can only benefit me. Claire and Andrew took Paul away, and I was kind of pissed that a smack in his face, was all I did. But, I'm sure he will get much worse.

"Before we leave, remember what I said before about not being a vigilante group? I mean it. We have already cut through so much red tape, and I'm not prepared to cut anymore. If we have to use force, then so be it, but it is a last resort only."

"We have to wait for Mrs. Tennant, Mike. We can't leave her hostel empty for anyone to just walk in and do whatever."

"Where is she?"

"I sent her out for a couple of hours when I got here, incase she got hurt."

"I'm already here Mr. Perry."

"Mrs. Tennant?"

"Yes. Is everything sorted out now?"

"Yes. Thank you very much for everything."

"Right, lets spare Mrs. Tennant from anymore drama."

"You go ahead Mike. I just want to talk to Mrs. Tennant real quick."

The rest of them left, and headed outside to the cars.

"I just want to say thank you so much for everything you have done."

"You don't have to say anything dear. It's been a pleasure to have you."

"What? Even with all the messed up stuff that's been happening?"

"Dear, this place gets very boring, and sometimes lonely. A little drama from time to time is always welcome."

"I promise you, when all this is over, I'm going to come visit you."

"As long as you bring Taylor."

"Absolutely. You have been amazing Mrs. Tennant. I can't thank you enough."

"You can thank me the next time you visit, and call me Isla. Now go and join your friends, and get your boy back. I'll be praying for you."

As I walked outside, I looked back towards the hostel, and even though I had spent the worst week of my life here, I will miss this place so much. Isla was such a wonderful lady, and I can't wait to meet her husband, and have her meet Taylor. I hope Aaron is still here for me. He hasn't made any contact with me yet, since I woke up. I'm going to need him more than ever now.