Chapter 27 - The Show Must Go On

I couldn't help but think about what Aaron had told me, as Cleo left, to pick up the guns. If what he said is true, then one of those guns are going to end up in my hands, and I'm supposed to shoot someone. Alec went with her, as Claire also left, to talk to the media. Mike still looked concerned, as he paced up and down the room.

"What's on your mind Mike?"

"The implications of the next few days."

"I don't want you all losing your jobs."

"That all depends on success, and failure Annabel. This case has opened up other unsolved cases. The department was buzzing, at the prospect of being able to close them, successfully. We will have cut through so much legal red tape, that failure would be devastating for us all. The chief is already getting concerned, and I have a feeling that if we don't provide a solved case soon, he will close it for good."

"They can't do that Mike!"

"Yes, they can. It is not our end that makes these decisions. It's the irritating European Bureaurocrats, and once they have the final say, our hands are permanently tied."

"So we need to get this done Mike. Do you want me to still call Paul?"

"Are you sure you have it in you Annabel? I mean, if you think you're going to lunge at him, then it's off."

"Tell me what you have in mind Mike? Tell me what I need to do?"

"The plan is, we get Paul to come here. We act the same with him now, as we did at the hospital, clueless. When Claire returns, and Andrew has got here, Me and Andrew, will attend the press meeting, and Claire will stay with you and Paul. The trick here, is to let Paul know about the press meeting, but give him little to go on. The hope is, he gets a message to Edith, to watch the news. When Claire gives us the signal, I will pronounce you dead, to the media, and that the case is officially closed."

"What? Dead?"

"Rememeber Annabel. You were the only known survivor, of the blaze. That is why the media won't give up, they want answers. Edith will see that, and her guard will drop."

"And Paul?"

"My guess is, he will panic, and run. Straight into the arms of Alec, who will be waiting downstairs, with Cleo. Me and Andrew will get back here, as soon as the meeting has finished. Once we have dealt with Paul, we travel to Guernsey, and put an end to this."

"But how will you explain that I'm not dead? Surely the media, and Edith, will find out?"

"We will have got to Edith, long before the truth is out. As for explaining this at the department, I don't know yet. But, like I said before, this is where the success plays a huge role. There is now no room for failure."

"I'm worried for Mrs. Tennant. I don't want her getting hurt in all of this Mike."

"Alec will make sure she is safe, and she will be rewarded for everything she has done."

I was still a bit unsure, as to if this would work. I didn't know if my anger towards Paul, would be controlled, long enough to see this through. But, the thought of seeing that bastard's face, when he finds out he was tricked, would be worth it. I searched his number in my phone, and my hand shook, as it started ringing. It wasn't long before he answered, and I gave him the address, and asked him to come round. I couldn't believe, how he had the nerve, to come across as caring, as he was asking if I was okay.

I hung up, and sat on the bed, with my heart racing.

"You done good Annabel."

"What do we do now?"