Chapter 1 - Burning Love

I have moved the chapter guide to the back of the book mainly because it was putting people off from reading beyond it, even though the guide is important to the story. So yeah, take a look in your own time and I hope you enjoy the journey of these characters.

******************************************************************************************

Being an eighteen year old mother was not what I had planned for my life. I had so much I wanted to do, places I wanted to see, and an education that is now on hold. I suppose I should be grateful for having my beautiful baby, but the selfish part of me wanted so much more.

Damn you Aaron, for walking out on me. "I love you till the end", he would always say, "We will spend our lives together", yeah right. All of that was true, until he found out I was pregnant. Now, I have to fend for myself, my baby boy, and my future. Life could have been so much better, if only I had not been so stupid.

My parents died a few years ago, and the rest of my family disowned me for falling pregnant at seventeen. "You had a bright future ahead of you", "Where are your morals?", well thanks for the support. I have a future, my morals are intact, and I will prove to them that they are all wrong. It's not like I had a one night stand. It was just an error in judgment that we are all prone to make, but no, I was looked down on in shame, cast out like I meant nothing to them. Instead of the care and support, I got shown the front door and told never to return.

Spring had just arrived, thankfully. The winter was so cold and it was a struggle to keep my apartment warm. I have little money coming in, and corners are having to be cut all over just to afford baby formula for Taylor. He is only three months old and the cold couldn't have been good for his chest, but we got through it. Now, with the warmer temperatures coming in, the bills will start becoming cheaper, which means more food and clothes for us both. I knew being a mother was going to be tough, but I never expected to be battling the elements as well as finances.

It was a Monday, the sun felt nice, and my neighbour had just agreed to take on Taylor as I went to find work. I knew that living on hand-outs was not the answer. Would be nice for my numbers to roll in on the lottery, then I would have everything for me and Taylor. The only problem with that, is I need a job to be able to pay for a ticket to start with.

I don't know how, but today must have been my lucky day. They were taking applicants as a check out at the local supermarket. I know it isn't much, it's not what I wanted, but it's a means to an end. The manager was very nice, and good looking, and it seemed hopeful that I would get the job, since I was the only applicant they have had since advertising over a week ago. He is going to call me tomorrow to let me know if I get the job and he did say that I would make a valuable addition to the team. I didn't want to tempt fate, but I couldn't hide my excitement and bought a bottle of wine to celebrate. Kind of risky, considering money is still tight, but it's a cheap bottle and I very rarely treat myself.

When I got home, I picked Taylor up, I felt proud. Only once before have I had that feeling, Taylor's birth, and I just want to make him proud of me, and gave him the biggest cuddle imaginable. I'll show them, all those people who doubted me. Me and Taylor are going to be just fine.

"Thank you Mrs. Turnbull, for looking after Taylor, I might have got that job at the market."

"That's okay dear, you know my door is always open for you and that's wonderful news. Looks like I'm going to have my hands full with this little one."

Mrs. Turnbull was such a nice lady. She was in her 70's, and her husband passed away six years ago from cancer. She has no immediate family left and was all alone and Taylor seemed to put that extra little sparkle in her eyes. All that's needed now is to settle Taylor, cook some food, and crack open the wine for a movie night. He was so good at falling asleep, never getting restless. He was so beautiful just laying there in his cradle. I kissed his forehead and then made my way to the kitchen and switched on the baby moniter, before checking to see what I had to eat.

Pasta was all I had that was quick and easy to make. Reminded me of mother, she loved her pasta. Always wanting to open an Italian Restaurant. She told me that she had discovered the perfect sauce, but a part of me knew that it was from a packet, and yet it still tasted nice. I could never did find the sauce she used, but I guess it was the mother's touch that made it taste that little bit better.

I was worn out. Still, the pasta tasted good and the wine just added to it. I settled on the sofa watching my movie and felt myself nodding off. The movie was good, but my eyes were just too heavy.

I battled against this feeling far too many times, and the sleep always wins. The perfect end, to a perfect day. My eyes began to close, and my mind was edging further away as I drifted off......

"Hey! Lady!....Ma'am!, wake up!"

"Huh?"

I looked up to see two fire fighters standing over me trying to pick me up, the room was thick with smoke. So many thoughts were going through my head as to what was happening. Did I leave the stove on after cooking the pasta? Did one of the electrics blow? And then, the most important thing of all dominated my head.

"No! Please, get my baby, he's in the other room."

"Jack, check that room. What's your name, miss?"

"My name? Annabel. Please, just get my baby."

"John, I've checked the room, there is no baby in there, the cradle is empty."

"No! He is in there. Check again. I know he is there!"

"You heard the man, there is nobody else in the apartment, Annabel. Now pllease, we have to get you out of here."

For all my fighting, they pulled me out. The tears engulfed my face as I fell to my knees screaming for Taylor. I looked up, and the whole building was ablaze. My baby is still in there.

I felt so dizzy. Everything started going black.

"Please God. Help my baby."