Chapter 14 - Solitude

Today was Aaron's holiday. I had been at my Auntie's house the last two nights, and had woke up early to go round to Aaron's apartment. I didn't eve bother getting dressed up. Just wanted to spend any time I have with him today, before he goes. I called a taxi and then sent a message to Aaron, telling him I'm on my way.

Aaron sent one back saying he was flapping, trying to get everything together. It made me laugh. He was usually always prepared. Nice to know he is still normal and not so perfect afterall. The taxi arrived and it didn't take long to get there. Traffic was on my side for once. I leapt out of the taxi and ran straight up to his apartment. He was already standing at the doorway as I leapt on him, hugging him tightly.

"Woah there, what was that for?"

"Because I missed you and I'm going to miss you when you go."

"I should go on holiday more often. I like this."

"I love you so much Aaron."

"I love you to the end babe. Now come help me pack, I'm useless right now."

His apartment was a mess. I can see how he had filled his case, and then emptied it, dozens of times to check again he had everything. It took us an hour to finish packing his one case.

"What time do you need to be at the airport?"

"I leave here in thirty minutes. Now come here."

We lay together on his bed cuddling and kissing. He told me how much I meant to him and wished he could just stay. I don't know how, but the half hour we had left managed to go as slowly as possible.

When he got up, a tear rolled down my cheek.

"Hey, come on. No tears. I will be back in thirteen days, and then we can spend the rest of our lives together."

"I know. I'm just going to miss you."

"I heard you passed your driving test a few months ago?"

"Yeah, just can't afford to buy a car yet."

"Here. Take my keys. You can look after my car till I get back."

"No, Aaron, I couldn't. What if I scratch it, or worse?"

"It's only a car. It has no use sitting outside."

"Only if you're sure?"

"I wouldn't trust anyone else to look after it."

"Thank you so much. I promise to take care of it."

"Just take care of yourself. That's all that matters to me."

He called a taxi, and we made our way outside. He held me tightly and kept saying how much he loved me. I was hoping the traffic had built up delaying the taxi, but no such luck. It came almost soon afterwards. He put his case in the back and we kissed one more time before he got got in the back seat.

"Annabel. I love you. I'll be back before you know it."

"I'm going to miss you so much Aaron."

"Who's Aaron, sweetie?"

"Dear God, you scared the hell out of me."

"I'm sorry. I heard you crying and calling out for someone called Aaron. The door was unlocked and I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Thank you Mrs. Tennant. It was just a dream."

"Well I brought you something to eat. Didn't know if you felt like coming downstairs, so I brought it up for you. It's actually getting late. You slept the whole day, you must have really needed the sleep."

"That's so nice of you. Thank you, and yeah, I guess I was just tired."

"Is Aaron your sweetheart then?"

"Oh no. He was. Just didn't turn out the way I planned."

"Relationships rarely do these days. All we can do is work hard at them and hope it's enough. Claire has been in a few times already today asking of you."

"Claire?"

"Yes, one of the police officers outside. Just wanting to check how you were."

I almost forgot about the police outside. They must be just as tired as I was. They gave me a radio to contact them, somewhere. I should ask them to come inside. They may even have more information on Taylor.

"Well, I'll leave you to it Annabel. I'll send the officers straight up."

"Thank you Mrs. Tennant, for the food."

I felt like death warmed up. I was so drained, and yet I was sleeping till late everyday. I didn't have a cold, but it sure as hell felt like I should have had one.

"Are you decent Annabel?"

"Yes, come straight in."

"How you feeling today?"

"I just feel exhausted. Where's Andrew?"

"We always have to have one of us outside at all times. He's happy enough. Loves his alone time."

"Have you any news?"

"Not yet I'm afraid, but, Mike called me an hour ago. He seems to be having a crappy couple of days off. Said he might pop in tomorrow. Told me to tell you that he has some new leads, and is bringing an old friend of his, in on the case to help out."