Chapter 12 - Media Frenzy

"So, Miss. Thomas, who is this Paul? You never mentioned him before."

"He is my first cousin. He was the one who introduced me to Aaron."

"He seemed really worried about you. Every day he would arrive at reception, making sure you were okay."

"We used to be close. We were always together growing up, always acting like a brother to me. Eventually, we just drifted apart. Once my parents died, he was protective of me, felt like it was his duty to look out for me."

"I'll have to take a raincheck on this, the unit has arrived to take you."

"Mike, I'm scared."

"You don't need to be. You are going to be more secure over the next couple of days than you have been here. I'm not going to just go off, knowing something could happen to you."

"PC Flannigan, the two officers are outside."

"Thank you nurse, send them in."

"Miss. Thomas, this is PC Riley and Fisher."

At least one of the officers was female. Mike was lovely, but there are things I just didn't feel comfortable with talking to him about. I collected my things, and then realized how little I have left. Everything destroyed or taken from me in the blink of an eye. I felt like a criminal, as I walked through the hospital flanked by three officers. Everybody was staring, staring at the criminal, or staring at the sad case who was all over the news. Either way, it was uncomfortable.

"Right, Miss. Thomas......"

"Please, can you all just call me Annabel. I hate all this formality."

"Of course. Annabel, this is where we part. You're going out through the back. Me and my decoy friend over there, are going out the front."

"Decoy?"

"Yes, you are still big news. If the people responsible for taking Taylor are watching, we don't want them knowing where you are. And Annabel, we will get this sorted out in the end. See you in a couple of days."

As the other two officers ushered me towards the back entrance, I looked over my shoulder to see Mike and his decoy, who had now had a coat put over her head, leave through the front doors, to a chorus of camera flashes. I have never known so much media attention for something like this and I started to panic. We got into the unmarked police car out back and drove off.

"Well, Annabel, since you don't want the formalities, my name is Claire Fisher, and this is Andrew Riley."

"Can you tell me why I have become a media show?"

"The apartment complex, next to the one you were living in, also caught fire. All seventeen people inside, died. You are being hailed as a miracle survivor."

"Oh my God. Why didn't Mike tell me about this?"

"I think Mike is more concerned with your state of being. He will probably have told you soon enough."

"But I'm not the only survivor. Taylor is still out there somewhere."

"Yes we know that, but the media don't."

"I don't understand?"

"The media only know you by name, but that is all they have. They don't know anything about you. Nobody has come forward on your behalf, and they have not  traced any leads to your family. Since you were an only child, they have struggled to find any blood relatives. That is one of the reasons why the media won't let this go."

"So I'm being protected, not from any attackers, but from the media?"

"Like Mike said. If the people responsible are watching, they could use the media to get to you. No media, no attacks."

This was like something out of an action movie. What the hell is wrong with people. We arrived at Manning's Hostel and was greeted by the owner, Mrs. Tennant. She was really nice and showed us to my room. Claire and Andrew then checked every nook and cranny.

"Okay, Annabel. We're going to leave you with this two way radio. If you need us, just use this."

"Where are you going to be?"

"We're going to be across the road in the car. Any problems, and we will be here within seconds."

As they left, I took a look around. This place was not very clean. I would have prefered the hospital, but at least I can watch TV now, and have a lot more privacy. Mrs. Tennant came in and we sat together for the next hour just talking about what happened. I didn't mind because she never came across as prying, and was more interested in how I was coping. She had brought some Tea and biscuits, and explained how her husband was always away on business and leaving her to deal with the hostel. Not many people stayed here, as it was out of the way, but she said there was still enough business to keep it open.

I hope Claire and Andrew were okay, God only knows how they are going to stay comfortable, cooped up in that car. Thankfully it's spring, and the weather is not to cold for them. Mrs. Tennant left the room, so I decided to take a nice hot bath and relax before bed. The day was so draining and the tirdness was creeping in. At least the bed was comfortable, and was happily falling asleep watching the TV....

"Morning Annabel."

"Aaron, you still look tired."

"I couldn't sleep, was happy just listening to you sleep."

"I love you Aaron."