Chapter 16 - A Lost Love

What is wrong with me? Why am I getting all these thoughts? Taylor, Aaron and now Mike. Where the hell is Taylor? Why is Aaron in every dream I have? Why am I having these feelings for Mike? I looked hagged. Mike said he was coming over later, so I best at least look presentable. I hope Mrs. Tennant is wrong. I hope whatever I'm feeling, is just the stress.

It's just a little after one in the afternoon. I need to talk to Claire after I shower, before Mike comes. Maybe she can help me. She might know more about why I'm feeling this way. I called for Claire, soon after getting ready. I just wanted some quick advice. Don't want to be doing anything silly. Need my mind to fully be on Taylor and nothing else. Although, Aaron was creeping his way back in, and I had no idea if that was a good thing.

"Are you decent Annabel?"

"Yes Claire, come in."

"What's up? You sounded a little confused on the radio?"

"Claire, earlier on, Mrs. Tennant suggested that I could have feelings for someone, from my reaction to a message I got."

"Is this person close to you?"

"He, well, he isn't really close, but I think I'm, going to end up spending a lot of time with him."

"Well, do you actually have feeling for this guy?"

"I don't know. He's seems nice, but I have so much going on right now, and I'm not sure if it is just a comfort thing."

"It's natural to feel this way when you are going through something traumatic. Everybody needs comfort in times like this, but, you need to find a balance between wanting comfort, and actual feelings towards somebody. You may even find that you have no attraction to him. It's best not to make any moves until you are sure it is what you want."

"I shouldn't even have these feelings Claire. Taylor is my only priority right now. Hope is the only thing keeping me from losing it completely. I want things getting in the way of that. If that hope goes, I don't know what I would do."

"Then keep Taylor's image locked in your head. Think of nothing but Taylor. When these feelings come seeping in, discard them, and remind yourself of what is important."

Claire was becoming a very important person to me. She was all I had left, that I could openly speak to. She always seemed to know what to say, and she never judged me. Just then, I heard Mike from downstairs talking to Mrs. Tennant. I blushed.

"So, this guy getting your attention. It wouldn't happen to be our very own Mike, would it?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"The blushing gave it away. Just remember what I told you."

"Ladies, can I come in?"

"Afternoon Mike. You look tired?"

"Been a long weekend Claire."

"Well, I shall leave you two alone."

"No, please, Claire. I think it is better that you stay here for now with Annabel."

"Mike? What's wrong?"

"Annabel. I need to ask you some questions. I need you to think hard about what I'm asking, okay?"

"Yeah, sure."

"The day that Aaron left you. What happened?"

"He came back from his holiday. I remember it was a day early. He came to my house to see me. Everything was fine to start with."

"What changed that?"

"I found out, whilst he was away, that I was pregnant."

"Did he react badly to that?"

"I don't know. It was strange. He stood there, silent. Then I remember him coming over and hugging me. He said that he was happy."

"Why would that make him leave?"

"It didn't. I suggested that we move in together, so we could be a real family. He said he was not ready for that. He said he would think about it and that maybe we could do it, in the future, when the baby arrived. I argued with him. I accused him of lacking responsibility. It was stupid of me. I was asking too much too soon. He said he was going for a drive to clear his head. He took back the car keys, then left."

"Did he say anything more to you?"

"No, what are you saying Mike?"

"Can you remember the date?"

"Yes, it was almost a year ago. April 3rd. It was a saturday I think."

"Annabel. I'm so sorry. Aaron didn't walk out on you."

I saw tears start to fall down Mike's face as his words started to quiver. Claire gripped my hand tightly. I had no idea what was happening.

"Annabel, on April 3rd last year, at 5:56pm. Aaron was involved in a very serious traffic accident."

"Oh my God, what are you saying!!?"

"I'm so sorry. Aaron was pronounced dead at the scene."