Chapter 20 - Threads of Time

I sat in the back of the car with Claire, as Andrew drove back to the hostel. My blood was boiling. Not for the fact that I felt like a criminal for being escorted around by the police, but, because they don't seem to be rushing the case. I want my boy, yet they just want to sit around whilst I sit in an old hostel and do nothing but wait. I hope whoever Mike is getting me to meet, has a little more urgency in getting this story finished, so I can rebuild my life.

"Let's get you inside and get you something to eat."

"I'm not a child Claire."

"Annabel. Why are you being so hostile towards everyone? Did something happen to you tonight?"

"I don't want to talk about it right now. Who is this person I have to meet?"

"Apparently, he is a friend of Mike's. He isn't connected to the department. He is a private detective who, like you, lost his child."

"I didn't lose my child. He was taken. Big difference."

"Annabel. That is what I mean. His daughter ran away, but he thinks she may have been taken. He is looking for her. He is in the same situation as you, and Mike feels his experience can help you."

"So, if he hasn't found his daughter yet, how the hell is he going to find my son?"

"I'm not sure Annabel. I wish I had the answers. Maybe they think the two cases are linked. Either way, it won't hurt anybody to try."

"I guess."

"Look. The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath. I know you are hurting, emotions are running high, and the anger is starting to take control. If I'm being honest, I think you should show your anger, but aim it towards the people responsible, not the people who want to help. If people don't want to help, then forget about them, they are not worth any of your time. But, the people who are there for you, need to have your full co-operation. It is those people who will fight for you, help you, and never let you down. Let's just get inside, get some food and drink, and hear what Mike's friend has to say. We can't do much else now, but tomorrow, is when we start putting what we know into action."

"I think it is you that needs to breathe."

"Very funny. See, glad to see you back, now let's get inside."

I guess Claire was right. I was feeling hungry, and I still had that dry feeling in my throat. I mean, what's the worst that can happen with this guy? He goes off looking for Taylor, he doesn't find him, and we're still left at square one. At least people are willing to come in and help, so I should be thankful about that.

As we went inside, I glanced into the front room on the way to the stairs, and noticed a guy sat in there on his own. He looked weathered, like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Maybe that was him. Maybe that's Mike friend.

"Annabel. This way."

"Are we not going upstairs Mike?"

"Not yet, come meet my friend."

"Annabel, this is Alec Perry."

"Nice to meet you Annabel. Mike speaks highly of you. I hope I can help."

"Steady Annabel, are you okay?"

"Yes Mike, just still feel light headed from earlier. Just need to sit down."

As soon as Alec shook my hand, I felt something. Something evil. Not him himself, but almost like something was inside of him. It made me feel dizzy.

"If you want, I can come back later in the morning?"

"No, it's fine. Claire, can I get a glass of water please?"

"No problem."

"So, Annabel. Mike told me all about your case. I've not had any time yet to fully look into it, but I did venture to your old apartment earlier. I found something that may have been overlooked, and Mike is going to check it out for me. I also know about Edith Turnbull. Since she is the main suspect at the minute, I will look into it."

"What did you find?"

"Just some blood. Not a great deal, but it was in an unusual place. Mike is going to run a DNA check for me tomorrow."

"Blood!? Are you telling me Taylor has been injured?"

"I'm not telling you anything of the sort. Just that some traces of blood have been found and until we get it checked out, all notions of injuries to Taylor, need to be halted."

"You found anything else?"

"No, but Mike tells me you've been having some dreams?"

"We all dream, it's nothing."

"Yes, but we don't have dreams that carry on like a story, each time you sleep. That's not possible."

"You think I'm lying?"

"Absolutely not. What I am saying, is that I would like to venture more into what is happening inside your head."

"Hold on Alec, what has this got to do with Taylor?"

"Can I talk, Mike?"

"Be my guest."

"Annabel. Mike told me that the first dream you had after the fire, was when you first met your boyfriend, correct?"

"Yes?"

"And from that first dream, it played out until his death, which then led to your little pilgrimage to his grave, correct?"

"What are you saying?"

"When you went to his grave, you saw him didn't you? He spoke to you, and now you think people are going to assume you are crazy for seeing ghosts, simply because that is what you think of others, when they tell you the same, correct?"

"How do you know all this?"

"Tell me Annabel, when you started realizing, that the dreams you had felt real. Did you, at any point, try to change what had happened?"

"I tried to stop him getting into his car. I told him there was going to be an accident. He didn't listen. But it was just a dream, it wasn't like I actually went back in time. Even if I did stop him in my dream, he would still be dead."

"If it makes you feel any better, I believe every word you are telling me. I have seen some messed up crap in the last few weeks that have changed my opinion on a lot of things. The mind is a very powerful tool. Don't assume that things can't happen, because the chances are, they already have."

"Are you telling me that I can actually change the past with my dreams?"

"Anything is possible. But, my point is, if you carry on with these dreams, they may lead you to Taylor."

"How?"

"What I want you to do Annabel, when you awake in the morning. I want you to write down exactly what you dreamed about. When I come back tomorrow, we will take a look at what you have. It may not come to nothing, but I get the feeling that this is not a normal missing child case. I think there is something much bigger going on."

"You're really starting to scare me."

"I often leave that impression on people. But, be sure, if you do what I tell you to do, we will find Taylor."

This guy reached into the core of my soul and had me gripped in fear. It was like he knew who I was, before I knew. He knew my fears, my emotions, what I was thinking. But, I believed in him. My instincts were telling me to trust his every word. And, if they were not my instincts, then what?