Chapter 3 - War Zone

I never met up with Aaron, the next day.

After he went, I let my hair down and decided to drink more than I could handle. I slept most of the next day, and when I remembered that I was supposed to meet up with him, couldn't find his number anywhere, I thought I had lost my chance. The one time I actually summon the courage to go and speak to a guy I liked, and I lost the only connection we had. I suppose I best get up and make something to eat.

The house looked like a bomb had gone off, but at least I had a couple of days to clean it up. I was living with my Auntie and Uncle, they had gone away for the week and agreed to the party, providing the house stayed tidy. I don't think they realize what clean and tidy means to a bunch of teenagers.

There were people asleep everywhere, on the floors, one in the bath tub and even in the garden. Somehow, one guy managed to balance himself on the back of the sofa. There was food cartons and beer cans littering anywhere that was not already occupied by someone sleeping. A few people had actually already woke up and were just sitting around looking worse for wear.

It took me two hours alone to clear everybody from the house, and for me, that seemed like I had done enough work for the day. My head was suffering badly and all I could think about was Aaron and where that phone number was. I went into the garden and sat on the wall where we had spent most of the night talking and looked around at the carnage as I tried to sober up with a cup of coffee. The sun was already starting to go down, when I suddenly heard the faint sounds of someone knocking on the front door. It had to be Aaron. Maybe he left something behind last night. I ran to answer, and there, standing in front of me...

"Hey, Anna, sorry, but I think I left my phone here last night, do you mind if I come look for it?"

I stood there in silence for a few seconds. My heart beat calming down, as I quickly gathered my thoughts.

"Yeah, no problem, Paul, of course you can, come on in."

"What's wrong? You look as if you're miles away."

"Oh, it's nothing, just feeling the after effects of the party."

"Yeah, I get what you mean. The place looks trashed. You want a hand to clean up? I got an hour to spare."

Well, it may not have been Aaron, but at least I have help to clean up.

"So, Anna, I noticed you and Aaron spent a lot of time together last night. How did the coffee date go?"

"Yeah, he was really nice and....what? How did you know about the coffee?"

"He told me, as he was leaving, that you guys were meeting up."

"Well, we never got that far. I lost his number. Even if I didn't, I got up late anyway."

"You help me find my phone, and I might be kind enough to give you his number."

I didn't need asking twice. I could easily have called his phone with mine, but if I know guys, as soon as he gets his phone, he will be gone, and I have a house that needs cleaning. The hallway and lounge were cleaned up in no time, and just as we were about to start in the kitchen, my hired help looked like it was about to leave, as we could hear his phone ringing in the dining room. On the plus side, I can get Aaron's number now.

"So, Paul, how about that number before you run off?"

With number in hand and most of the house cleaned up, Paul left. I decided to leave the rest until tomorrow, sent Aaron a message explaining what happened and then went upstairs for a shower. As I took my top off, there, right in front of me, scrawled on my arm, was Aaron's number. I had to laugh in frustration.

By the time I got out of the shower, Aaron had left a message. He was understanding about everything, and asked if I wanted to go to another party with him next weekend.

"Annabel? Please wake up dear."

"Where? What?, Mrs. Turnbull, what's happening?"

"You're in the back of an ambulance dear. You inhaled a lot of smoke. You collapsed shortly after they got you out."

"Taylor!!?"

"Miss. Thomas, they are doing everything they can to get your son out. I need you to calm down and breathe into this tube for me."