then - chapter thirty-three

all I know is pouring rain and
everything has changed

all I know is pouring rain andeverything has changed

We were moving. Again.

My mother had told me a few days ago, but I couldn't find it in me to tell Luke. Of course, I threw a fit when she told me to start packing, that we were headed back to the city. We did this all the time; right as I started to get comfortable and happy living in one place, we had to pick up everything and move on to the next. This wasn't the first time, and it wouldn't be the last.

I walked through the hallway at school with my head down and my feet scuffing against the floor. After my 'temper tantrum' yesterday, I angrily stormed up to my room and refused to talk to my mom. At breakfast this morning, she told me to "stop pouting and get over it because it won't change anything."

I still wasn't happy about it.

Trudging down the hallway, I was lost in my own thoughts until I heard another set of feet from behind me. "Cassie, Cassie wait up!" I turned around to see Luke running towards me and slowed my pace to allow him to catch up. Once he caught his breath, he spoke again. "What's up Cass?"

I sighed, realizing that the best way to tell him was just straight up. "I'm moving."

Luke stopped in his tracks. I stopped as well, finally looking up at him. "What?" He asked, his mouth hanging open in shock.

I nodded sadly. "My mom told me last night that we're moving. This is my last day of school before we go."

He stood looking at me for a few seconds before engulfing me in a hug. I wrapped my arms around he shoulders and hugged him back, tucking my face into his neck. "I'm gonna miss you a lot, Cassie."

I pulled away and put a finger to his lips. "I still got a whole day of school here, so lets not waste it being sad." He nodded and we headed out to the recess yard where all the kids played before the first bell.

That school day was a rough one. I had to clean out my desk and take all my notebooks and supplies home., and people that I had never talked to before were telling me that they'd miss me. Luke and I spent as much time together as possible; we ate together at lunch, sat side by side on the monkey bars at recess, both played dodge ball during gym class.

I couldn't imagine what I would do without him when we moved.

Finally, the bell rang signaling the end of the school day and all the students flooded out of the doors of the school. Luke and I walked slowly, side by side, and I tried to take in the moment. I didn't know if I would ever see Luke again.

At last we reached the front doors of the school and walked out to the front of the school. My mom was there, standing and talking to Luke's father and waiting for me to come out. When she finally spotted me, she smiled sadly. "Ready to go, Cassie? We need to finish packing."

I stopped in front of her and opening my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Instead, I turned to Luke and wrapped him up in a big hug, tears stinging my eyes. "I'm g-gonna miss you, L-Luke."

He hugged me back just as tight. "Me too, Cassie. I don't know what I'll do without you."

I let out a sob, and Luke just squeezed me closer to him and rubbed my back. I don't know how long we stood there, holding onto each other, but it felt like forever. Finally, I had to pull away from him and wipe my tears.

"Goodbye, Luke," I whispered, my face still close to his.

"Goodbye, Cassie," he said sadly. Before either of us stepped away forever, I grabbed the front of his shirt and pulled him towards me, my mouth quickly meeting his. It was just a peck, but both of us pulled away with wide eyes and shocked faces.

"I'll miss you!" I yelled as I walked away with my mother, away from Luke and the town that was the closest thing to home that I knew.    

Bit of an intense chapter, but I'm super excited for the rest of the book!!

So I have finished writing this book!! There are a total of 36 chapters as well as a bonus-type chapter and an epilogue!! Also, I have added a characters page and a playlist to the beginning of the story! So go back and check those out if you'd like!!

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment!!