then - chapter thirteen

❝ 'cause all I know is we said, "hello."
and your eyes look like coming home 

"and your eyes look like coming home ❞

PE was one of my favorite classes. I loved running, and I was pretty fast. Whenever I ran, I always loved the feeling of the air in my face and the burn in my legs.

Luke, however, did not share this love.

He would rather sit on the sideline and watch me run than be beside me. He was kind of small for his age, so he automatically had a disadvantage in sports.

So if Luke didn't want to play in PE, neither did I.

It was one of those days. The rest of our gym class had split into two teams, one wearing pennies and the other in their regular gym shirts. Shoelaces tied, socks up, they were engaged in a tense match.

Luke and I had a much better idea that soccer.

We had each taken a blue mat and carried them out to the grass, far enough away from the soccer game that we could still see them but they weren't disturbing us.

We each stood on our respect mats, eyes closed, minds at ease. I breathed out, bringing my hands together in front of me, elbows out my sides.

From the rustling to my right, I knew Luke had done the same.

I let out another breath before bringing my leg up and perching it on my thigh like a flamingo.

Deep breath in, deep breath out.

I raised my hands above my head, palm pressed against palm. As I let another breath out, I pulled apart my hands, moving them in a circle around my body until they laid flat at my side.

Another breath in, and my hands went back up and then back down in front of my chest. Breathe in, and out.

I peeped my eye open a crack and looked to my right towards Luke.

His eyes were closed tight in concentration, he ever-floppy curls hanging down onto his forehead. I watched his chest heave up and down as he took deep breaths in and out. When my eyes trailed back up to his face, I was surprised to see one green eye looking back at me.

I cracked a small, shy smile, and he gave me one of his own.

That was, before he lost his balance and toppled down onto the yoga mat.

I began to laugh, losing my own balance and falling down next to him, and we both fell into a fit of giggles together.