then - chapter nine

and I'll take them down
take them down and open up the door for you

The school bell rang, alerting all the students that it was time for snack recess

The school bell rang, alerting all the students that it was time for snack recess. Kids flooded the halls, pushing past each other to reach the double doors that would lead to the playground.

Luke and I were in no hurry, talking and laughing together as we trailed behind the hoard of students, our lunch bags in tow. Luke and I had a sort of tradition, eating our lunch at snack time and our snacks at lunch time. That's how it had always been.

We finally pushed through the doors and I squinted my eyes as they adjusted to the brightness of the sun.

Together, we walked over to the playground where most of the other kids were chasing after each other excitedly, playing tag or running to reserve a spot on the swings.

Luke and I continued talking as we climbed up onto the monkey bars and took a seat next to each other.

I pulled out my sandwich­-roast beef, lettuce, and mayo with mozzarella cheese-while he pulled out his-turkey, tomato, and mustard with cheddar.

I took a big bite of mine while I swung my feet back and forth. Then I turned to Luke. "If you could get any pet and name it whatever you wanted, what would you get and what would you name it?"

The corners of his lips turned up slightly as he tried to suppress a grin. "I would get a dragon and I would name him... Michael."

I rolled my eyes. "Dragons aren't real, Lucas."

"It's my pet, my rules, Cassiopeia." I stuck my tongue out at him when he used my full name.

He looked out at the kids in though before turning to me. "What do you want to be when you're older?"

I smiled. "I wanna be a doctor and I wanna save people, like when people go to the 'mergency room and need saving."

Luke nodded his head in understanding. "Well, I wanna be a cowboy."

I laughed, swinging my feet harder as I looked over at him. "You already are a cowboy!"

He shook his head at me. "No, I mean like a real cowboy, like the ones at the rodeos dad takes me to, the ones that ride the bulls."

My eyes widened. "But those guys always get hurt."

He shrugged his shoulders. "They look like they're having a lot of fun when they do it."

We sat there in silence for a few minutes as I tried to think of another question.

When one finally came to my mind, I turned towards Luke and my blue eyes met his green ones. "If you could go anywhere in the world outside of Brookville, where would you go?"

He furrowed his eyebrows, thinking hard as he chewed on his lunch. His eyes scanned the playground in front of us before he turned to look me in the eye. "It wouldn't really matter where I was. As long as you were there next to me, I'd be happy."

A huge grin took over my face as his mouth took over its own smile.

Suddenly my face heated up and I looked down at my black converse to try and hide it.

I heard Luke snicker. "Cassiopeia Ariadne Rella, are you blushing?" I slapped his arm, causing him to laugh louder. "You're such a girl."

He pulled me into a side hug, my head resting on his shoulder.

"But that's okay, 'cause you're my girl."

This was supposed to be posted on Tuesday, but I thought I'd wait because I took my last final today!!! Now that school is out, my updates will be more regular!!

Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote and comment!!