then - chapter twenty-five

❝ all I know is pouring rain and
everything has changed ❞

"What's the point of this?" I questioned, watching as Luke positioned the pen in the strange contraption

"My aunt bought it on Amazon or something. It's supposed to be like some kid's version of a tattoo needle."

"What!" I yelled in surprise. "I can't give you a tattoo! We're only 10, we're not even old enough to get tattoos!"

Luke just laughed, not even looking up from the pen thing as I had a mini mental breakdown. "Calm down, Cassie, it's not a real tattoo. You just put a pen in here and it rotates the marker as you go, pushing ink through to the tip. I don't really understand it, it's basically just drawing on your skin but she paid like 20 bucks for it so we might as well use it."

I sighed. "Okay, I'll try my best," I promised as he handed me the fake tattoo needle. "What do you want?"

"Something that will make me look cool and tough," he said, smirking, but I just laughed.

"Luke, you're gonna need a lot more than just a fake tattoo to make you look cool."

He turned and glared at me, which only made me laugh harder. He stared at me for a moment, an unreadable expression in his eyes before he joined in with my laughing.

"How about a pony? Or a puppy? Or a flower?"

He scoffed. "No way, I need like a tiger or a dragon or something."

"Okay, I can do a dragon."

I thought about the dragon tattoo that my dad had on his side; he got it before I was born but I hadn't seen it in a while, so it was kind of hard to remember, but I knew the general idea of it. He pulled up the sleeve of his shirt, revealing the top of his arm and his shoulder.

I started with the squiggly outline of the dragon, drawing out the shape of the body and then adding the arms, legs, spikes, and head. After switching the color from black to a dark green, I started to fill it in a little more before switching back to the black, which I used for all the small details.

"Alright, I think I'm done. But let it dry for a minute."

"Oh my god, I've never kept my arm still for that long."

"Hey, real art doesn't happen quick, alright? It takes time."

He laughed. "Can I look now? Is it dry?"

I poked his arm lightly and check my finger, seeing if the ink smeared at all. "Alright, you're good," I remarked after looking at my clean finger.

He stood up out of the chair, stretching a bit before walking over to the mirror on the cabinets. He turned a bit so that he could see his arm. "Wow Cassie, this is great! You're amazing!"

I followed him over to the mirror, blushing. "It's not that great."

"Are you kidding me? This dragon is sick! Seriously Cassie, I'm so happy I could kiss you!"

My breath caught in my throat and I looked over at him, but he was too busy studying his 'tattoo' to see my surprise. I swallowed the lump in my throat before choking out a nervous laugh.

We walked out of his aunt's classroom, but my mind was still swimming with thoughts of the words he had just said.

This chapter was a little weird because the scene from the video was weird, but I liked how it turned out!!

Thank you for reading, and don't forget to vote and comment!!!