then - chapter thirty-one

all I know since yesterday is
everything has changed

"Luke, where are we going?" I asked as he led me through the school

"Don't worry, you'll know soon enough." I groaned in frustration. Luke had once again convinced me to skip out of class and go somewhere with him. This time though, he seemed nervous. His fingers kept fumbling together, and he seemed to be mumbling to himself.

"Luke, come on. Just tell me where we're going. Please?" I pleaded with him, but he wouldn't budge.

"I'm not telling you, Cassie. Just trust me. I hope you'll like it." The last sentence seemed like it was more for himself, but whatever.

As we walked down the hallway, my blue sneakers slapped against the floor and my white dress swayed around my knees. My mother had forced me to wear it to school, saying that I shouldn't always wear just a t-shirt and jeans. I didn't get it.

Suddenly, as we were walking, I felt Luke's hand slip into mine. I looked up at him, startled by the sudden move, but he just gave me a small smile. I bit my lip and smiled back before looking back down at my feet.

Luke was holding my hand.

Oh my god.

As the days had passed, I realized how much Luke really meant to me. I constantly found myself staring at him, thinking about him, talking to him. My mind just seemed to revolve around him, and it scared me. A lot.

A slight tugging on my hand pulled me out of my thoughts and back to the present.

"Come on, Cassie, we're almost there," Luke encouraged, and I followed behind him.

Finally, we came up to the doors of the gym. He paused, making sure I was close to him before he pulled open the doors. The lights were on and the gym was empty, and it would have been silent if it wasn't for the quiet hum of music in the background.

"The gym?" I asked, still looking around. "Why are we in the gym?"

"Because," he starts, "this is where the 8th grade dance is being held today. That's why it's empty, because they're setting up for it."

"Okay, but why are we here?"

"Because," he repeated, "we are going to dance." He walked up to me, grabbing my hands in his. His arms around my waist, and mine instinctually went to his neck.

"D-dance?" I felt nervous and scared, like being this close to Luke was melting my insides and turning my brain to mush.

"Yes. Dance."

All of a sudden, the music turns up a bit. It's one of my favorite Coldplay songs, The Scientist. I watched Luke as we swayed back and forth, and I was completely and utterly enraptured in his eyes. We didn't speak at all, and we didn't need to.

The lights in the gym turned off, and we were surround by hundreds of little circles of light, like a disco ball. I looked around in awe. "Luke, it's beautiful."

"I know," he said. But when I looked back at him, his eyes were still trained on my face.

I smiled at him. "Okay, that was too cheesy."

He grinned widely. "But you loved it."

And I did.

As we danced, my eyes never left his, bright blue against a sparkling green. A smiled slowly slipped onto my lips and stayed there for the whole song.

As the song came to an end, I found myself slowly leaning into Luke, barely even noticing what was happening. It wasn't until there was barely a space between out lips that I stopped moving.

"My dad says I'm not old enough to kiss boys," I whispered, looking at him through my eyelashes.

"Well is he here right now?" He asked, smirking.

"No, but I'll have a smile on my face for weeks and my mom will know something's up."

He laughed, but it stopped when my lips met his cheek. I kept them there for a few seconds, too long for it to be just a friendly kiss.

I pulled away slowly and looked him in the eye. "I'll leave you with that, and maybe in a few years when my dad lets me kiss boys, I'll give you the real thing."

Luke had the biggest grin on his lips, and if I was allowed to swear, I would call it a shit eating grin. But since I'm not allowed to swear, I'll just say it was a big grin.

"I'll hold you to that."

"I look forward to it."