then - chapter three

❝ in the back of my mind making me feel like
I just wanna know you better,
know you better, know you better now 

❝ in the back of my mind making me feel likeI just wanna know you better,know you better, know you better now ❞

I wrinkled my nose at the smell of sugar that completely filled the classroom.

All of the kids were excitedly seated in their groups, napkins placed in front of them on the desk. The room was filled with the excited chatter of students. If they had this much energy now, I was afraid of what they'd be like with after eating all this sugar.

Ms. Brown walked around, placing bowls of cookies and tubs of frosting on each table.

Kids dove in, eagerly grabbing a sugar cookie or three and picking out their favorite color of icing.

I'm not sure what decorating cookies had to do with anything we were learning in class, but whatever. I wasn't going to complain. We didn't have to do any work for a day, and I got to sit with Luke while we made cookies.

I looked down to the other end of our table, where a girl – I think her name was Megan – was putting some icing on the middle of her cookie and covering it with sprinkles.

Most kids had the same idea as Megan; pile as much sugar onto the cookie as possible.

Ms. Brown was now walking around the tables, telling most kids that they had enough frosting already and to stop flinging icing at each other. I covered my mouth with my hand in an attempt to hold in a giggle as someone threw some icing at Ms. Brown.

Kids still continued to pil the sugar onto the cookies, and Luke was no exception.

He already had a good amount of frosting on his cookie, and if the determined look on his face was anything to go by, he wasn't stopping anytime soon.

Pinching my bottom lip between my teeth, I reached out and grabbed one of the macaron cookies, placing it on my napkin. Steering away from the tubs of frosting, I grabbed some raspberries and arranged them in a circle on the edge of the cookie.

I scooped some filling into the middle before turning my head to look at Luke's cookie.

I giggled, seeing the huge mound of icing on top of what I assumed was a sugar cookie, but you couldn't really tell anymore. He was holding a can of red frosting, squeezing it out onto a pile of blue and pink frosting.

My eyes travelled up from the cookie to his face. I studied the determined look on his face, the way his eyebrows scrunched up a little, how his green eyes were slightly squinted in concentration.

Feeling my gaze on his face, his eyes met mine, and a smile flitted across his lips.

I grinned back, looking down to my own cookie.

Grabbing another pink cookie from the bowl, I placed it on top of my other one, placing one last raspberry on top.

"Are you sure you don't need a little more icing?" Luke questioned, holding up the red tube in offering.

I grimaced as some icing dripped from the tip of the tube and onto the floor. "No thanks. You can keep your sugar cans to yourself."

Luke's grin only grew. "Suit yourself."