now - chapter thirty

❝ all I know is you held the door
you'll be mine and I'll be yours 

❝ all I know is you held the dooryou'll be mine and I'll be yours ❞

I walked hand in hand with Luke as he lead me into Jack's house. I guess Jack had finally realized that it was too cold to have bonfires outside, so he had opted to have everyone hang out in his living room.

It was a few days after Christmas and we had all decided to get together once before the new year. Not many people knew about our relationship (I had only told Alyssa, but I didn't know if Luke told anyone) but I'm sure they would after this.

Luke didn't even knock, just pushing open the door and tugging me in behind him. He left me to greet Jack, Nathaniel, and some of his other friends, while I went to hug Alyssa.

"How has your break been?" Addie asked me as I sat down with them. "How was your first Christmas back?"

"Good, good," I said, finally able to warm up a bit now that we were inside. "My mom and I spent Christmas with Luke's family and that was great."

"Oh," she said with a smile. "And what's up with that?" I bit my lip to hold back my smile. She just laughed.

After a few more people arrived, we all settled down a bit and the conversation flowed easily. I was sitting next to Alyssa as Addie told us both a story about her younger sister knocking over the Christmas tree when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and I was suddenly lifted into the air.

"Luke!" I squealed, knowing who it was without even seeing his face. "Put me down!" Although I admit that I had quite a nice view from over his shoulder, I didn't enjoy being suspended over the ground.

Instead of doing as I asked, he carried me over to the beanbags on the other side of the room and plopped down with me in his lap.

I slapped his arm. "You can't just walk over and pick someone up whenever you want. I was listening to–"

Luke cut me off, pressing his lips against mine, my arms going around his neck almost automatically. I heard whoops sound from around the room, and I smiled into the kiss before pulling away.

"About time!" Jack said with a smile. Even though it had been a couple weeks since Luke and I first kissed, I still couldn't hold back the blush. "I just want to let you know that I would have made a shitload of money betting on whether you two would get together or not, except nobody would bet against me."

Nathaniel scoffed. "That's because it was so obvious they liked each other. Betting against them is just asking to lose money."

Jack smirked, a mischievous glint in his eye. "Oh yeah? And what about you? Even though they both liked each other, it still took balls to make a move. Balls that you obvious don't have."

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking at Luke. He just smiled at me and nodded his head back to the two arguing boys. It was obvious that I was missing something, and by the confused looks on almost everybody's faces, I wasn't alone.