now - chapter twenty-six

❝ all I know is a new found grace
all my days I'll know your face ❞

"Oh my god, Luke."

"Do you like it?"

"It's perfect."

I had never seen so many stars before.

Living most of my life in large cities, there was always too much light to see the stars. The city never sleeps, and the sky was always empty. But now, out in the country, it was beautiful.

The sky was more than just the dull black it seemed to be normally; it was all different shades of blue and purple and grey, a beautiful sight. Stars were scattered as far as I could see, some huge and bright and others small and duller, but just as amazing.

It looked magical.

"It's so beautiful," I said, not wanting to tear my eyes away from the sky.

"It is," he said in agreement, but when I looked over at him, his eyes were locked on me; he hadn't even been looking at the sky.

I laughed. "That was one of the cheesiest things I've ever heard," I told him, and he grinned.

"That's okay. Everyone needs a little cheese in their life."

I reached my hands up and grabbed his face, pulling it down to mine as our mouths met once again.

He eagerly wrapped a hand around my neck and held me in place, his other hand sliding down my side to my hip, causing goosebumps to erupt on my skin. He groaned as I took his lower lip between my teeth, and I took the opportunity to deepen the kiss.

It didn't take long for Luke to lean me down onto the bed of blankets and pillows, positioning himself over top of me. I wrapped my arms around his neck while he balanced above me on his elbows.

We lied there for what felt like forever, hands roaming and mouths moving. I didn't even notice as the stars began to fade.

I snuggled further into Luke's arms, but he placed his mouth by my ear and whispered, "I should probably get you back home soon."

I groaned. "No, I'm good here."

He chuckled. "Let's go, you can sleep when you get home."

He helped me up and out of the back of the truck, opening the passenger door and helping me in.

Once we pulled away from the small clearing, I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I tried to pay attention to the scenery outside, but my mind was reeling. I let out a giggle, and Luke looked at me with an amused expression. "What are you laughing at?"

I shrugged, but the couldn't hide my smile. "Nothing. Everything."

He reached over and wrapped his hand around mine. "Let me take you on a date."

"What?" I asked, surprised by the randomness of it.

"I know I'm probably a little backwards with all of this, but let me take you out on a real date. Like, a real dinner where I can pick you up at your house with flowers and sweep you off your feet with my chivalrous ways."

I let out a loud laugh, but looked over at Luke. He looked nervous, like I might actually reject his offer, and it was completely endearing. "Of course, I'd love to go on a date with you."

He grinned as we continued towards my house. The rest of the ride was silent, but one of the most comfortable silences I had ever experienced.

He parked outside my house and surprised me when he got out to open my door, walking me up to the house.