then - chapter seven

all I know is you held the door
you'll be mine and I'll be yours

I stood in front of the audience with Luke right in front of me, the stage lights beating down on my back

I stood in front of the audience with Luke right in front of me, the stage lights beating down on my back. We were doing a school play about a boy who saves a princess. I was the princess, and Luke was my knight in shining armor, saving me from the big bad monster.

There he was in front of me, a plastic 'helmet' on top of his head, and his body covered in 'armor' as he waited to be knighted by me.

He kneeled down in front of me and his green eyes looked up at me. Under his helmet, his brown curls fell into his eyes.

I grabbed the plastic sword from the hands of Macy and turned towards Luke. Tapping each of his shoulders with the sword, I recited my line.

"For his brave actions in saving the princess, I now dub thee sir knight."

The other children on stage with us clapped and Luke stood up, taking the sword from my hand. He turned to the audience, ready to recite his last line of the play.

"I vow to protect the princess from any danger that may come her way and never let her get harmed. I will-" He started to move the sword through the air, as if attacking an imaginary monster, "slay any beast that tries to take her away, and I will promise to love her for forever and always."

Michael-the narrator­-stepped forward from the corner of the stage to say the closing line: "And they both lived happily ever after. The End."

The parents and family members in the audience stood and clapped while the students got together in the middle of the stage for the final bow.

I turned to my right and looked at Luke, then down to his hand. He entwined his fingers with mine, and we raised our hands above our heads before swinging them back, taking a bow.

Right before we walked off the stage, I took one final look at Luke and couldn't help but match the ear-splitting grin on his face.

Forever and always.