then - chapter fifteen

all I know is you held the door
and you'll be mine and I'll be yours

❝ all I know is you held the doorand you'll be mine and I'll be yours ❞

Ms. Brown had set up the old projector again, some movie about world war one playing on the white pull down screen. I let out a yawn, covering my mouth with my hand.

I took a peek over at Luke, who was sitting to my left. He looked just as bored as I felt, his eyelids drooping and his head held up by his hand. I let out a quiet giggle and he looked over at me.

His green eyes flashed with amusement before he looked back over at the screen.

My eyes followed the direction of his as I tried to pay attention to the movie playing, but my gaze kept going back to him. I looked at how his curls were especially unruly today, how his green eyes slipped closed every few seconds only to snap open shortly after.

I poked his leg, drawing his attention back to me. I nodded my head towards the classroom door, and he got the idea.

Quietly, while Ms. Brown was paying attention to the movie, we slipped past the rest of out classmates and out the door.

"Where are we going?" Luke asked me once we were out the door. I held a finger up to my lips, motioning for him to follow me.

"You'll see soon," I whispered.

We carefully walked past classroom doors, making sure to stay hidden under the windows and quiet as a mouse.

Finally, we arrived at the science room, and I tested the door handle.

Unlocked.

I pushed it open, waving Luke inside the classroom. Once he was in, I followed him and quietly shut the door behind us.

"What are we doing in here?" He asked, looking around at all the equipment and tools.

"You'll see," I muttered, looking around the room for what we came here for.

"Why do you keep saying that," Luke whined, but I didn't reply as my eyes landed on what I had been looking for.

"Here!" I jogged over to the other side of the room, stopping in front of the small glass case.

Luke walked up next to me, looking into the terrarium. I watched him as he looked around in it, and I knew he had found it when his eyes lit up.

"Whoa! A snake!"

I smiled. I didn't like reptiles, not one bit, but I knew that Luke loved them. He found snakes all the time in the fields that his family had, and he was fascinated by them.

I watched as the snake lifted it's head and Luke pursed his lips, making a face at the snake. His bright green eyes were wide, and it had been a while since I had seen him smile that big.

I couldn't stand snakes, but if I could make Luke this happy, I would see one every day.