Chapter Twenty-One (Last)

Sorry it took so long. I'd thought I'd already uploaded the last chapter. lol

ENJOY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six Months Later. . .

Zach's P.O.V

"Woo!" I cried, running down the street. I was testing out my new prosthetic.I'd finally been upgraded to a new sleek one, instead of the log they'd had me in at the Hospital. Therapy had been tough – really exhausting, extremely tough - but I had a great support group behind me.

Now, six month son, I was running again. I was still a little awkward, but I was there. Getting in and out of the shower was probably the hardest thing I had to deal with, cause I couldn't take the prosthetic in with me. In the hospital it wasn't too bad cause the showers were big and they had these chairs you could sit in. But at home was harder,mum and dad had to get me a stool cause the hospital chairs didn't fit in ours.

Leon stayed over a lot now that I was back at home. He likes looking after me a bit too much I think, but I'm thankful for the help. I wouldn't want mum and dad to have to do everything. And I can do mostly everything by myself now.

I have to change my learner's permit to Automatic now though, cause I can't work the clutch without both legs and the prosthetic is too awkward at doing it. But I get to use the disabled parking spots now, which is handy.Get it, handicapped? Too soon?

"How are you still faster than me?" Leon coughed, trying to keep up behind me.

"Cause I have the need, the need for speed," I shouted, arms in the air. Leon dashed forward and wrapped his arms around me, picking me up.

"UNACCEPTABLE!"I screamed in protest, but I wasn't really upset. Leon laughed and put me back down, but didn't let go. After everything that had happened, he never let me out of his sight. I had to admit, at times I found it annoying, but I know he only did it because he cared, and that's all I could ask for.

"Marry me,"Leon whispered to me sweetly. I turned to him in shock.

"What?" I gaped at him.

"Marry me," he repeated. It wasn't a question, but a request. I burst out laughing.

"Are you serious?" I snorted. Leon's expression didn't change. It was kind and patient, but serious. He just smiled softly and waited for me to accept it.

"We're not even allowed to, we're too young," I informed him.

"I'll wait,"he said. "Just say that you will. Say you'll marry me and be with me forever." I stared up at him, the laughter now faded from my face. He was really serious about it.

"It's not even legal here," I said sadly. Leon lent in and kissed my forehead.

"I'll wait for that too," he breathed against my skin, sending a shiver down my spine. I wrapped my arms around his waist and held him close.

"Okay," I whispered. "I'll marry you. Even if I have to hobble down the aisle to do it."

And so, life took it's course after that. I managed to just graduate high school,having missed so much time off. Leon graduated with flying colors,how he managed it I will never know.

For a time I stayed at home, and Leon moved in so we could be together. We got jobs, our car licences, got our own place, and I'd adjusted so well to my amputation that it no longer bothered me at all, it felt as if I'd always been this way.

Adeline and Oliver moved in together not long after that, but it didn't last. Turns out they just couldn't agree over anything in the house. But it's fine,it was mutual.

Luka had found himself a nice young woman and was settling down now too, they've set the date and our parents were over the moon. The upcoming wedding made me secretly sad inside though, that Leon and I still couldn't legally get married here. We'd technically been engaged for four years now, and I loved secretly calling him my fiance, but I knew the law still had a long way to go, so I didn't hope too hard.

I was standing at the sink in our little house we were renting washing dishes when Leon walked in. He was dressed in black jeans, black converses, and a cartoon tux T-shirt. He came up to me and cleared his throat, then dropped to one knee and pulled a small box out of his pocket.

"What are you doing?" I asked, putting the plate I'd be washing back into the water and dropping the sponge in too.

"Zachariah Jones, will you do me the honor of becoming my husband?" Leon asked seriously. I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"Aren't we already engaged?" I asked.

"Yeah, but I wanted to ask you again properly, because I want to do it properly,"he said. I stared down at him, then dried my hands and faced him directly.

"What do you mean? You know we can't. And that's okay, as long as I'm with you I don't care," I told him. He rose and took my hand, placing the box in my palm.

"I've been saving up ever since I first asked you. I've saved enough money to head over to New Zealand for a week to get married properly. It wont be legal here yet, but we'll legally be married there," he said. My jaw dropped. I opened the box in my hand to reveal a thin gold banded ring, our initials carved into it. I took the ring from the box and dropped to one knee.

"In that case,Leon Mackenzie, will you marry me?" I asked him. He laughed and grabbed my arms, lifting me back up.

"Twice, if that were possible," he laughed and kissed me. I kissed him back,slipping on the ring.

"It will be twice, once it's finally legal here. I'll make sure of it," I told him. He hugged me close.

"You've got yourself a deal."  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The End. 

I'm so sad to see it go :'(

Mouki out~