Chapter Eighteen

Don't forget to vote and comment. 

ENJOY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Leon's P.O.V

Zach was sitting opposite me in a small diner up the coast. It was supposed to be a truck stop, but it didn't look like many truckers used it. Apart from being a little out dated, it was nice. Peaceful and calming; which I needed right now.

"Know what you want?" I asked Zach, grazing over my menu. He'd been looking at his for a while now.

"They don't have chocolate pudding anymore," he frowned, scowling at the menu.

"They did before?" I asked, trying to be conversational.

"Yeah, my grandpa and I used to stop here for lunch when he'd drop me home after staying at his place further north. It was a tradition," Zach confided. He set his menu down and rested his hands on the table, looking at me. I copied him.

"He died last year," Zach added.

"I'm sorry." I reached out and took one of his hands. He smiled sadly at me and turned his eyes out the window. It was already sunset, the light fading quickly outside as the cold began to set in.Thankfully it was warm in here. The green floral wallpaper, blue checkered drapes and yellow lighting was somehow more inviting than the icy sea breeze outside.

A plump elderly woman headed over to us, pen and paper in check. Zach pulled his hand from mine as she approached.

"Can I get you darls anything?" she asked, batting her purple eyelashes.

"Can I get a hamburger and chips, no salad, and a coke?" I asked.She nodded, jotting my order down.

"I'll have a cheeseburger and wedges, without the salad too, and a strawberry milk shake," Zach smiled. The lady added that to the order and then flipped a page.

"Is that all?" she asked. We both nodded. "Alright, that'll be about ten minutes." Then she trudged away to another table.

Apart from us, there were only four other people in the whole building. The waitress, a chef in the back, and two middle-aged men in the back corner. One was flipping through a newspaper while the other sipped his tea. There was something familiar about them, like I knew them from a dream or something. The one reading the paper began to speak, and I tried to listen in.

"There's been another theft nearby," the one with the paper said.He was taller than the other, and had dark black hair that was going grey at the temples.

"Bloody kids," murmured the other, though he smiled to his comrade. He was shorter with brown hair all pulled to one side.

"Better call in the Calvary, we wouldn't want to be robbed," said the first dark haired man.

"Benjamin would never come all the way out here for something like that," the second laughed, taking another sip of his tea.

"He might, if you asked him," chuckled the first.

"Do you know them?" Zach asked me, snapping me back to our table.I turned my head to him in surprise.

"No, no," I frowned. "I thought I did, but no." Zach nodded thoughtfully. And then our food arrived.

Despite the look of the place, the food here was pretty good. I twasn't the best hamburger I'd ever eaten, but it was pretty damn good. Zach and I talked while he ate, and then talked after we ate,and then talked about ordering dessert.

"Okay, but I really want to try the blueberry cheesecake," Zach insisted.

"Fine, then I'm getting the strawberry shortcake," I replied.

"You have to give me a taste though," he grinned.

"Only if you give me a taste of yours," I grinned back. So we got dessert too.

*

Zach's P.O.V

The cheesecake was good! And it tasted even better on Leon'slips. I mean, what?

We split the bill and ditched the joint, heading out into the bitter cold of the night. I ran for Leon's car and dove into the passenger seat, slamming the door shut behind me.

"Heater, heater!" I insisted, waving my hands in front of the vent and willing warm air to reach me. Leon laughed and started the beast, turning the heat onto full and blasting it into my face. We sat like that in the car park as the interior warmed up.

"You look blue," Leon noted, facing me from the driver's seat.

"I'm blue, da ba dee da ba die," I chattered, shivering. Leon leant in and cupped a hand around my neck, bringing his forehead to mine. His forehead and hand were warm and I liked it.

"I know a way to warm you up," he teased, looking into my eyes.The only source of light was from the yellow tinge of the diner, but I could make out Leon's every feature. His face was so close, and his lips hovered right before mine. I shivered, making him grin wider.

I suddenly felt a little nervous. I mean, I knew he was only teasing;but we'd never discussed how fast or slow we were taking this relationship. I wasn't sure if I loved him yet, let alone ready to go... there. He is pretty cute though.

"Really?" I breathed, a little short of breath. Leon chuckled and titled his head slightly, pressing his lips to mine. My lips were slightly parted, and Leon used his hand around my neck to pull me closer. My mind cleared completely, and suddenly all my energy and focus were on my lips.

Leon deepened the kiss, moving my lips to pash. My hands felt numb as I reached out for him, grabbing onto the front of his shirt. His tongue flicked to the corner of my mouth and I groaned; then tried to pull away as a red hot blush exploded on my cheeks. Leon wasn't letting me go though. He pulled me onto his lap and wrapped his arms around me, kissing me over and over. My momentary embarrassment was gone as I relaxed, feeling more comfortable like this. Finally we pulled apart, gasping for air. I laughed as I noticed the windows had fogged up. I reached out and drew a smiley face on the window.

"Okay, now I really have to take you home," he chuckled, brushing the hair from his face. I laughed, short of breath.

"Parting is such sweet sorrow," I mused. I climbed back into my seat and put my seat belt on. Leon did the same and turned the headlights on, driving out of the parking bay and onto the empty road.

It was amazing how easily conversation came for us, and I knew this was how it was supposed to be. I never felt uncomfortable with him,never felt pressured to do or say anything. We could sit in silence for ages, or talk about anything. But the passion to be together was still there, it was amazing.

As the following weeks flew by, people at school became less and less interested in our personal relationship. Oliver, Leon's best friend,finally accepted we were a couple and joined our table. I guessed he just couldn't stay away from Adeline any longer. It seemed to win him points with her though, coming to sit with us. They seemed to begetting along really well too, and I was beginning to think Adeline was developing feelings in return for him, though she hadn't admitted it yet. High school had never been so much fun, despite Math.

And I stayed on the soccer team, reserve – obviously. It was actually pretty fun, and nobody gave me any trouble since the Captain and co-captain were both for it, and no one wanted to get kicked off the team. I really had hope restored in humanity. I thought for sure there were going to be major repercussions about Leon and I being together. But apart from a few weird looks now and then, and most of Leon's old friends didn't want to hang out with him anymore, no one had tried to have a go at me. It was really awesome. I never wanted this to end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mouki out~