Chapter 27: Denial

I arrived home a couple of hours later...with my new boyfriend. I can't believe our boss would put us up to something like this. All for our stupid reputation. We revealed it right before the show ended. They were giving out awards and Yugyeom kissed my cheek softly while holding my hand. Our hashtag moved up from number 3 to number 1 in under five minutes. Everyone in the crowd was cheering "Yugjee! Yugjee!" It almost took the attention away from the winner of the show. It made me feel bad. We could've chosen a better way to reveal our "relationship"

I changed into a black loose T-shirt with a pair of gray shorts. I hopped on the couch and turned on the tv. Oh great, that same paparazzi show was on. And guess what the segment was about right now? Yugjee! Ugh, that doesn't even sound cute. How can they ship us?

"Well, I guess we all owe Yugyeom and Sungjee an apology. Poor sungjee was cheated on by this guy. And her sweet... BOYFRIEND only defended her. Yep, it's official. yugyeom and sungjee are now publicly displaying their relationship. This puts all the pieces in their version of the story from the press conference together. Yugyeom only punched him because he hurt his girlfriend. We should've known. Yugyeom is known to be too sweet to just punch any guy over an accident like that. We just want to wish the best for Yugjee's relationship and hope that they last a really really long time. And we also hope that his true fans will support them as well. We wish you the best."

The host of the show finished his segment and I changed the channel right after.

"Well, at least the whole Jake mess is cleared up right," I hear from the entrance of the living room.

"Yeah, just what JYP wanted right?" I get up and storm past him. I just want to sleep and forget all about how I'm stuck in a fake relationship with the guy who totally screwed me over. Not as much as Jake did but pretty close.

"Sungjee, wait!" Yugyeom comes after me but it was too late. I slammed the door just as he got to it and locked it. "I just want to talk to you, please."

"There's nothing to talk about."

"There's a lot to talk about."
Yugyeom's POV
"There's a lot to talk about," I say as I lean my forehead against the door. "Like the fact that we just got into a relationship."

I could here her sigh from the other side of the door. "If you're worried about where you're going to sleep, there's a couch in the living room. Use it. It may be a little uncomfortable, but I think you'll live. "

"Jee, I don't care about the stupid couch." I turn around and slide my back down the door.

"Then what do you want?"

"I want to know why you're pushing me away. I want to know why you're keeping this cold act up. I know you're not like this. I've known you for most of my life and I know you're way too sweet and caring to be this way. Towards anyone." I laugh a little to myself. "Remember when we were six and I defended you from that group of little devils?"

"...yeah..."

"Then a week later you brought them all chocolates so you could be friends but they pushed you away anyways?"

"Yeah, that was a bad idea."

"No, it wasn't. Because you still forgave them anyways. You were convinced that there had to be some good in them. That's just one of the millions of good qualities you have. You look for the good in people. I just wish you could see that in me. You don't have to build these walls up because just know that I won't ever give you a reason to use them against me. At least, not again. Goodnight."

I get up from the floor and into the hall closet to grab a blanket for the cold autumn night ahead.

It was silent in the apartment so I could distinctly hear Jee get up and unlock the door. I guess she thought I would have the nerve to come in with the first opportunity given. But instead, I just headed nearer to my temporary sleeping sight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sungjee's POV
Yugyeom and I neared the school at a dreary pace. Things have just been too awkward since last night. And to make things even greater, I feel Yugyeom lace his fingers with mine. I look up and glare at him.

"We have to, okay? I'm sorry."

I just nod and we proceed to enter the school. The heads never ceased to turn as we walked through halls to our lockers. "Surprisingly", the usual crowd around Yugyeom's locker has decreased to 3 girls. However, they too diminished when they saw Yugyeom and I walking hand in hand.
"Some fans huh?"

"It doesn't matter to me." He let go of my hand so he could turn his combination into his lock. "If they only liked me for my fame, looks, money, or whatever, then they don't deserve to have my attention at all. Especially if they don't cherish my relationship with, or at least respect, the girl I love the most."

I turn my face to my lock to hide my bright red cheeks. I take everything I need for the day out and we continue to walk to our first class for the day.

We made it through our first full day of being boyfriend and girlfriend. Obviously the stares were consistent and so were the requests of proof of its realness from many people. Of course, that involved Yugyeom having to kiss me on the cheek various times. Yeah, people complained about how a kiss on the cheek could mean anything. Yet, yugyeom defended us by saying how true love doesn't need to be proven through a short moment of contact. I thought that was really nice and bonus: I didn't have to kiss him for real (Even though he is a pretty decent kisser).

Finally the day has lead to our first game. It was a school scrimmage game of basketball. That means that my dance team and I have to perform for the first time. Ever since I've recovered, we've been practicing super hard to make up for all of the lost work that my stupid action has caused. Lana did a great job in my absence though so we didn't waste too much time.

Our uniforms, not to mention were pretty cool too. (A/n: have you guys seen Twice's Cheer up yellow and purple outfits that they wore in the m/v? Okay well just imagine that those have a black and blue color scheme with red detailing and there you have their uniforms) I pull on my little jacket slightly out of nerves. These people are expecting a lot from me since they know that I'm training for JYP now. I added a lot more to the choreography and my girls actually pulled it off. We danced our routine flawlessly thanks to the help of our 7 wonderful cheerleaders and one of Jackson's beautiful handmade signs. It really stole the show.

We scurried off of the court so the scrimmage could continue. The crowd was still cheering for us and we were buzzing. We couldn't believe how well that actually went considering all the obstacles that got in our way.

We finally stopped freaking out but there was still someone slow clapping behind me. I turn around only to see a face I thought I got rid of a week ago.

"Great job, sungjee." Jake comes closer to me in one of the basketball uniforms from the game. No way. He can't go here. I thought I wouldn't have to deal with him any further. "You're new crew is looking awesome by the way." I could hear the sarcasm in his voice.

"It's not a crew, it's a team, smartass."

"Don't talk to him that way."

In that moment, I felt my whole world stop. That girl. The owner of that voice and those words is the same one who has haunted my entire being for the past year.

"Glad you could make it, Ailee." Jake pulls her by the waist in a friendly hug.

She pulls away and flashes that same fake smile she's held since she began dating Yugyeom. "Of course I did. How could I miss the first basketball game of my new school."

I could feel all the color drain from my face. "Oh, you didn't hear? Ailee goes here too now. She just transferred. Isn't this great?"

"P-perfect," I choke out, barely audible.

Yugyeom comes past them to me to congratulate me on the dance. "Hey gorgeous! You all looked amazing out there. "

"T-thanks." Okay now that wasn't even a whisper.

"Jee, what's wrong?" I point behind him. He turns around and faces the same two people he thought he got rid of himself.

"Yugyeom! Long time no see!" Ailee pulls him into a slightly touchy hug. "I see you and Jee are still together. Although, I hear you two are an actual couple now. I sensed that from a long, long time ago."

"Meet our new school mates yugyeom," I tell him.

"Our- but- how- wait what?" Yugyeom grabbed my hand without turning back to look at me. With every stutter or attempt at a sentence, he was slowly backing up. That was until he finally gave up at facing that and ran out of the gym, dragging me along with him.