❦Chapter 16 : Facade

"Ciel, can we please go to the circus?" begged (Y/n), as she nagged Ciel repeatedly on the carriage ride to the manor. Ciel lets out a perturbed sigh, "Ugh, fine. I do not have any current cases, yet, to solve anyways."

(Y/n) hugs Ciel out of excitement, "Thanks!"

When they arrived to the manor, Sebastian was waiting at the gates, patiently. The butler helped (Y/n) and Ciel alight from the carriage, as he commented, "I assume the two of you had a wonderful day together?"

Ciel replied coldly, "Without you, yes."

Sebastian chuckled, "Hm, I see. What a nice dress you have on, (Y/n). You look beautiful in it,"

"Thanks. Ciel bought it for me. He is too kind." smiled (Y/n), as she smoothed her dress.

"Dinner is prepared, my lord!" shouted Bard and the others inside the manor. Sebastian, (Y/n), Ciel, and Tanaka wasted no time to enter the manor to go eat dinner. As everybody dined on their plates, Sebastian interjected, "There seems to be unexplained kidnappings, again, my lord. The Queen believes it is the Noah's Ark Circus who are the source to these disappearances, because children are missing whenever the circus is in town."

Ciel slowly chewed on his food, as he thought where to investigate first. The young earl bluntly suggested, "Hm.. We did encounter them down town, today. I believe we can start by attending the circus itself to delve deeper for I have my suspicions. A circus fellow named Joker was staring at (Y/n) a lot, is there by chance that you know him, (Y/n)?"

Sebastian raised a quizzical brow, muttering, "Joker? ..."

(Y/n) wiped her lips with a napkin and replied, "Joker? Well, I am not so sure myself... I feel like I have known him before though."

The young earl nodded slowly and brandished the flyer out of his coat that Dagger had given to (Y/n), announcing, "Sebastian, (Y/n), and I shall attend the circus tomorrow to investigate."

(Y/n) smiled in excitement, "Wow, a real circus! I never been to one before!"

Ciel glared, "Remember that this is for the case, (Y/n)... Do not let your guard down."

(Y/n) teases, "You are such a grumpy pants, Ciel. Loosen up will you?"

The young earl rolls his eyes, as he finishes up his meal. The other servants had their fill, while (Y/n) quickly ravished down her plate. After she was finished, Finny told her that he can wash the plates for her. (Y/n) insisted that she wanted to wash the plates, but Finny was too stubborn to let her. In defeat, (Y/n) went to her room. She had a good bath and fitted into one of her pajamas. Drying out her hair with a towel, (Y/n)'s mind kept wandering back to the man with the skeleton hand in the circus named Joker.

"Why do I feel that they are innocent? This feeling of nostalgia is too unbearable... I feel like that I knew them before."

(Y/n) sighs, as she crawls into bed, slowly falling asleep.

~

"Why are you so happy about going to a circus?" asked an irritated Ciel, as he walked towards the mega giant circus tent that was set just outside of town with Sebastian and (Y/n).

"Since I found out more about my past, I never really remember going out much. Plus, I was always on the run after losing my mother, when we decided to leave father. So going to a circus is new to me. I guess it kind of drew the child side out of me." replied (Y/n) with a sad smile.

Once they bought the tickets, the three went inside the tent. Rows of people from town sat on elevated benches. Children of all ages were eating a cotton candy or a hotdog, with a huge smile plastered on their cheeky faces, as they awaited for the start of the circus performance.