Chapter 23- Guilt and Uncertainty

Start from the beginning

My eyes stayed on the game and we both clapped and cheered as Summer shot a nice goal and they headed back to the centre to restart. I decided that if we ate at mine then Lara could head off straight away to change and could meet me there when my team had finished their game. When I told Lara she smiled and said, "Yes!" like she was pleased with my choice, " See you soon. " She swung the bag of netballs over her shoulder and headed off. I had a definite sense that I had just fallen in with one of Lara's schemes but I had no idea what it was.

We came out of the game with a 25-13 win and the girls were buzzing. I had stopped off and grabbed some snacks on the way home thinking that Lara and I would order in takeaways when she arrived.

When I got home I realised that Dad must have let Lara in,  she was just putting home made pizza in the oven when I walked in.  Smiling she said, "Dinner ready in 15. Your Dads going to join us.  Then we have all night. "

"Well this is a nice surprise, " I grabbed a slice of salami off the bench and popped it in my mouth before saying.  "It smells awesome.  Thanks Lara. I'll just grab a quick shower.   Should I be worried about the fact that you've got all night?"

Tapping the side of her nose she sat on a bar stool,  "Well we'll see won't we."

I sighed.

Dinner was great.  Dad and I both enjoyed having Lara's company she was a real tonic.  We laughed and ate and I was able to push other matters from my mind.

After dinner Dad kissed me goodnight saying he would leave us ladies to catch up.  I was under instructions from Lara to get into PJs and grab pillows and blankets.  When I came back down she had tea cleared away,   snacks on the table,  and a movie in.  Throwing a blanket and pillow  her way I sank onto my coach under the blanket and scooped up the movie cover.

"No way!  Matthew McConaughey, are you serious?"  'How to lose a guy in 10 days' was a movie we'd watched in our line up on a girls night before. Lara had this insane notion that I looked like Kate Hudson. 

Lara laughed "I've always told you that you look so like Kate, and now dun-dun-da... It is even more dramatic. Imagine if you will,  Matt with slightly shorter hair,  Got that? " she looked over at me.  I shook my head smiling,  "You realise that it's pretty obvious where you're going with this, right?"

Lara looked at me with mock seriousness,  "Let me have my fun.  Right where was I? Ok,  shorter hair,  lightened towards blonde, a little taller and voilà!"

I was thinking about Max so much by now,  that I couldn't stop the thought,  "Ah you forgot his arms they are fit, and chest,  seems a crime for him to wear a shirt! " I added rolling my eyes at Lara. Well two could play at this game.

Lara threw her head back and laughed heartily grabbing her stomach and just about rolling off the couch. Wiping her eyes she held up her hands,  "Enough details,  we don't need to cover all the body parts but from the way you're talking you are more than qualified! I get it,  he's a stud, and yours!"

Lara flicked the lights to dim,  turned the movie on, and jumped back onto her couch. "Right Kate time to roll the movie." I smiled tossing some jaffas into my mouth,  traditional kiwi movie food,  red shell with dark chocolate centre.   " When did you think I looked that much like Kate Hudson?  I'm sure we've had this conversation before."

Lara was quick off the bat, "Look on the screen girl," Kate Hudson was sitting smiling with her co-stars at her editors meeting.  "Your hair is so similar,  your skin beautifully clear and porcelain like, your amazing smile " I held up my hand laughing,  "Ok, enough. confidence boost is complete!" I chuckled as we continued to watch the movie,  "Thanks Lara," I said quietly.  She smiled and nodded with her eyes on the screen munching on junk.  "No prob."