"I haven't gone back since. Maybe we should take a trip, rally up the boys for one last hurrah," my dad sighs, a smirk tinging his lips as he glances over at my mom.

"Well, Kavita and I won't be left to sit at home. We'll take a girl's trip to Bali,"

"You know, I've never traveled anywhere without Rahul since we met," my mom confesses, smiling over at my dad.

"That's actually beautiful. Marriages nowadays aren't what they used to be. It's good that the kids have good examples to follow," aunty Jaya says, softly placing her hand over uncle Neal's.

"So, what plans do you kids have?" uncle asks directed towards Sid.

"No travel plans as of now, just work," Sid answers distractedly as he finishes off his dessert. It's impossible to get a proper answer out of him while he's eating. He definitely zoned everyone out two dishes back, yet no one realized.

"I'm talking about the future here, son," uncle pipes up at Sid's vague answer to his question. My hand squeezes his knee to grab his attention. The incriminating stares of my parents across the table and his parents on the opposite ends are beginning to make me nervous.

"We just moved in together, so I mean for now that's where we are," I say trying my best to match the four pairs of eyes on us. Sid leans back in his chair folding his arms across his chest, visibly irritated. He licks his lips pulling them into his mouth before pressing them in a thin line.

"Have you talked about getting married yet?" Maa asks, looking directly at me. Shifting uncomfortably in my chair, I grab my glass of water sipping from it, preparing for a very difficult conversation.

"That was our intention-"

"Was?" papa asks surprised.

"Things just changed for us," I say combing my finger through my hair.

"Sid do you have anything to say?" aunty presses further, disregarding Sidharth's building temper that is for sure about to flame any moment now.

"We're adults; we aren't inexperienced teens. Both Anu and I know what we want, and we have that right now," calmly, but with a definite irritation in his voice, Sid glowers at uncle Neal, showing his disapproval.

"So, what you're saying is marriage isn't in the cards for the two of you?" confused, aunty Jaya clarifies her interpretation, adding fuel to the fire.

"Precisely," Sid shakes his head dismissively, infuriating uncle further.

"What do you mean? The two of you are so happy with each other marriage can only strengthen that," Maa adds to the tense conversation, acting as impartial and naïve as possible but I'm sure she was part of the plan from the get-go.

"With all due respect aunty, a piece of paper isn't going to strengthen our relationship,"

"It does in every way possible, Sidharth, it makes it legitimate," uncle's voice projects from the head of the table in a loud boom. Sid briefly closed his eyes breathing in heavily. Uncle Neal's jaw tenses as he grinds his teeth together, his hands now tight fists placed on the table.

"Marriage isn't right for us for now," Sid bites off agitation evident in his deep voice.

"I'm not following. Your relationship is perfect in every way. Both of you come from the same background, understand each other's responsibilities, share an undying love for one another. How can marriage not be right?" dad questions from across the table. I feel like they are only targeting Sidharth like he is the one to blame for this. When in fact no one is to be blamed.