[26] Birthday - CG

carl is draping his bag over his shoulder as rick calls him, they are finally going back to alexandria again after a two weeks run. he has been away from her for two weeks, and he can't wait to talk to her again. he has so much to tell her, and he is still extremely sad that she couldn't join him.

carl looks around the shelter they have stayed in, making sure he has everything he needs. he panics as he searches through his bag after her gift, but sighs relieved as he finds it in one of the pockets. he doesn't want to lose it, he knows she will be extremely happy for the gift. carl walks towards his father, smiling as he places his hand on his son's shoulder.

"you ready to go back? i know someone will be happy to see you."

carl nods happily, and rick withdraw his hand again and they both walk outside to the cars. glenn motions carl to get into the car, and when all of them are settled they start driving towards alexandria, their home. carl can't wait to get back, he has gotten extremely tired of being away, but he can finally settle down again.

"you ready to finally get back to her again, carl?"

carl nods sadly, looking out of the window once again. he can see a couple of walkers walking in the distance, everything around him going so slow. he wants to be there already, and he is slightly scared that they won't get there in time. he wants to be there on her birthday, he wants to congratulate her and be with her.

the gate opens and they drive inside of their current sanctuary, alexandria. it has started to get dark around them, but carl puts his money on that it still is her birthday. he really wants to give her the gift, and now he finally can. he looks over at his father as to ask for permission to go, and his father nods.

his feet travel on the grass, and he walks in between the houses to make it go faster. in his hand is a little box, and in the box is the necklace that has her letter in gold hanging on. he approaches her, everything around him is silent. silence is everywhere, but not included carl's mind.

"hi, baby girl."

he sits down on the grass beside the cross that he made for her, fumbling around with the little box. he lets a few tears slip, but dries them away with his fingers fast. he opens the box slowly, letting the box down right in front of the cross. he smiles a little, not wanting to be sad in front of her grave.

"i miss you, you know? you are missing on a lot, i wished you could see how the community has grown." his fingers traces on the cross made of tree, starting to hum on a melody to hold in the tears. "happy birthday, honey."

carl can't hold it in anymore, and he cries out because of the mental pain. she should of have been here with him, she should of have been alive. he loved her so much, and all he wants is to have her back. carl can hear footsteps coming towards him but he doesn't need to look up, he already knows who it is.

"carl, please don't cry, it hurts me so much to see you cry." he can feel her hands wrapping around him, she is now sitting right beside him trying all she can to comfort him. she knows he misses her a lot, she misses her too. "it's all okay, she's in a better place."

"but y/n, i-i want her back. i-i love her, so much."

y/n can't help but shed a tear as she looks at the little black box with a necklace, it having a J made out of gold hanging on it. she knows how much judith meant to carl, and when she died everything around the both of them stopped. all they had was each other, and the fact that it's judith's birthday today isn't making this a happier day.

"do you want to be alone with her? i underst-"

"no y/n, please don't leave me. i need you with me, i need to make sure you stay protected."

y/n smiles sadly at carl, kissing his forehead as she stands up carefully. she looks around the area, making sure that nobody is around. she can't help but feel like she's interrupting something, like she shouldn't be here. carl takes her hand in his and drags her down to him again, and the both of them lay down on the grass. he places her head on his chest and holds her close, being so thankful for her still being alive.

y/n smiles to herself as she can feel carl running his hand through her hair, but tears are still running down her cheek. she always feels bad for judith being the one who died, she should of have been the one to do so. judith hasn't done anything wrong, but y/n has killed one person before. she has done something horrible, but judith hasn't. it's so unfair, everything is unfair, the world is unfair.

"stop blaming yourself y/n, let us just be happy to be alive. just know that i love you, so much."

"i love you too, carl. let us get inside, please? if you don't want to be outside longer, i und-"

"stop worrying, okay? let us get inside, i want to cuddle up." y/n smiles as she sits up, and lifts herself up with a yawn. carl is following right behind her, but turns around a last time before going inside to y/n. "happy birthday, sis. miss you lots."

did i do good, did i good, good did i?? did i do a small plot twist or was it obvious?? idek sorry, i feel like i kind of failed but i tried ://

by next sunday i have most likely (if not all of you dies) reached 20k! that is mental, i am so thankful !!