The Runaways: Chapter 1: Cathlina

I hear sirens wailing behind me as my feet thunder on the pavement. Police officers are yelling my name. I feel like I'm going to collapse, but I keep going. They can't catch me.

I'm almost to headquarters. They won't find me there. Nobody has found me. Only runaways belong there.

I am a runaway. I've been on the move for I can't remember how long. It's how I've survived. I'm fast. I'm sneaky. Even the bloodhounds can't find me. I shouldn't be found.

I turn the corner so quickly and so sharply, I almost run into the brick wall.

“Where'd she go?” the officers ask. They don't know. I'm invisible.

No, it isn't a metaphor. I disappeared. I don't know how and I don't know why. It just happens.

There is a hole at the end of the alley. I jump through and land in a dimly lit room the size of a gymnasium.

A figure walks to me and bows. “Cathlina Hampton, right on time.”

“You don't have to be so formal. I was almost caught again. I was close by, so I vanished and came here.”

The figure is wearing a dark cloak with a hood. I can tell who it is even in the small amount of light. She yanks the hood off. She meets my eyes with the same cobalt as mine. Her short, dirty blonde hair distinguishes me from her.

“Siana, why make such a big deal? Honestly, you embarrass me.”

She smiles with a certain curve of her lip. She is faking. I know it. She doesn't want to make her little sister upset. Well, I'm not so little anymore. I'm actually taller by a few inches. It isn't that she's short, I'm just tall for a girl my age.

“Sorry. Anyway, Mr. Leight wants to see you,” she apologizes.

“Why? Did he tell you?” I ask.

“No. But he seemed worried about something. But, he is pretty old, so it's hard to tell.”

I nod. “Okay. I'll talk to him.”

I run down the length of the room and disappear, instinctively again. I enter the room we usually meet in.

Mr. Leight is in a wheelchair. He has been with us ever since he ran away when he was twelve. Seventy years with us must've been hard. We are pretty difficult to handle

All of us are misfits. We have to be powered by something. Either we were abused or weren't wanted by our parents. Some were even bullied at school and their parents did nothing about it.

We run to get away from all the pain. We join to help other misfits.

“Did you want to see me, Mr. Leight?” I ask as I poke my head through the doorway.

He nods his wrinkled head. “Yes. I wish to speak with you.” His voice is weak and raspy.

“Are you alright?” I ask, worried. I always worry about him.

“Well, as you know, I am reaching the end of my life. Somebody must take my place. And, you've been helping the most. I think you should take over,” he tells me.

I am stunned. Why does he want me to run this place? I'm only fourteen. What can I do to help? I can't run this by myself.

I can't speak. Why can't he leave Siana in charge? She's sixteen. She can drive, even. I'm not even very responsible.

“So, what do you say, Cathlina?” he asks for the second time.

“Mr. Leight, why did you choose me?” I wonder.

“You have potential. You need to see that. Now, do you accept or not?”

I nod my head, slowly. “Yes. I will try. Thank you, Mr. Leight.” I back out of the room. I sigh heavily.

Now what should I do? I have all of these people to be in charge of. And no one is going to help me. I wish I had a family to go back to now.