[11] guardian angel (pt.3)

Truce - Twenty One Pilots

Summary

Tyler is Josh's guardian angel.

*****

"Josh, I need you to hold on for me buddy. Just hold on for me, please." Tyler pleaded, placing his hand over Josh's. The ambulance was currently ricocheting through traffic, trying to arrive at the hospital in time to get Josh to intensive care. "Josh please! I can't lose you." Tyler cried out.

The paramedic placed an oxygen mask over his face to control his breathing and removed his shirt to treat the stab wound. Blood had been pooling around his chest. "Josh, don't do this to me. I won't let you die!"

The vehicle arrived at the hospital and Josh was taken out the back and rushed into the hospital. Several doctors surrounded him as he was rushed through the medicinal smelling, pristine halls. 'Vitals are dropping.' Tyler heard one of them blurt out. 'Wound location punctured an artery.'

Tyler followed silently, watching as they did everything that they could to keep him alive. The heartbeat monitor continued to skip several beeps. "Josh please. I'm begging you, hold on." He brushed a hand over Josh's head, his hair unmoving as Tyler's spirit passed over it.

The monitor began a long hum as his heart flatlined. The defibrillator was placed on his chest, causing it to jolt as electricity shot through him. His body jerked again as they tried to bring him back. The hum continued, like a dreaded siren to Tyler's ears. He collapsed onto the floor, unable to look as Josh laid lifeless on the bed. No breaths, no blinking, just melancholy and remorse.

Tyler looked up to find darkness where Josh laid, and he slammed his fist against the bed, his hand passing through it. "It's my fault! I should have done more. I should have helped." He dropped weakly onto the floor, burying his face between his hands. Tyler felt a tap on his back, and he turned around to see Josh standing behind him.

Overwrought with emotion, Tyler jolted up and pulled Josh into a tight embrace before the other male could object. "Oh!" Josh exclaimed as he had the wind knocked out of his chest from Tyler's hug, and he patted Tyler's back with a mix of sympathy and confusion.

"I can hold you!" Tyler blurted as he buried his head against Josh's neck. "I can hold you too?" Josh responded, filled with bewilderment. "You can hold me too! You can see me, you can hear me. Josh." Tyler pulled back to find Josh looking like he was holding back a burst of laughter as he watched a frantic Tyler.

"You're.. A ghost?" Josh queried as he stared at the halo hovering over Tyler's head. "An angel. Your guardian angel." Josh chuckled softly as he looked to see his body lying lifeless on the hospital bed, doctors shuffling in and out of the room, another casualty over their heads. "Great job you've done so far." Josh joked and Tyler's face contorted to displeasure. Josh raised his hands to Tyler's shoulders. "I was only joking. I can't possibly blame you for this."

"Maybe you can't, but I'll always blame myself if I don't fix this." Tyler smiled weakly as he pulled Josh into a much more comforting hug. "Josh, you have no idea how long Ive waited for you to see me. To be able to hold you, and tell you how incredible you are. You mean everything to me, Josh."

Tyler pulled back and smiled a wider smile, his face visibly broken but hiding it inside. "I'm gonna fix everything. I'm gonna give you your life back."

Tyler stepped over to Josh's lifeless body and placed his palms over Josh's forehead. "Wait, what are you doing?!" Josh exclaimed as he stepped towards Tyler.

"I'm giving up my existence, so you can live a happy life."

Josh pulled Tyler's face to his, molding their lips together in an emotional kiss, the best that either of them had ever experienced. Josh pulled away, keeping his palm over Tyler's cheek.

"I'll never forget you." Josh muttered out softly, and Tyler cracked a weak chuckle. "I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Once you're back, you'll have no memory of the spirit world."

Josh's brows furrowed and he found himself unable to respond. "Don't worry, Josh. These past two minutes have been the best of my entire existence, and I'm glad I that I got to know you. You gave me a reason to keep existing, now I want you to do the same."

"I will." Josh responded abruptly Ashe gave Tyler one last kiss, parting their lips briefly. "I promise."

Tyler smiled warmly at Josh as he placed his palms back over Josh's lifeless body. His halo disappeared, and the two spent their last moments together smiling at one another, before Tyler vanished from Josh's view and a heartbeat pulsed on the monitor.

*****