[6] cross my heart

Liability - Lorde

Summary

Tyler gives josh his heart.

•••••

This was one of those kisses where everything around you seemed to disappear. You forget to breathe, you forget just how eager you seem because when your lips brush together, only the two of you together matter.

Josh was gentle around me. The way his fingers caressed my skin, or the way he took control of my body was always done with the softest of touches. His warm lips would trail my flesh and he'd look up to me with that look that said that I was all that mattered, and I always believed it. He was all I could think about ever since we got together. It didn't matter that we had to hide what we had, because it was the best secret I could ever keep. Josh made me feel like I was everything to him, and that was all that I needed.

Josh was the star quarterback with good grades and the hottest girlfriend. He was the guy at our school. I wasn't popular, but was by no means an outcast in my own eyes, until I started dating Josh in secret.

My stares always lingered. I always smiled when we passed in the halls. Josh made my heartbeat echo. Apparently, loud enough for his friends to hear. They thought I had a crush on Josh, which was a valid observation, but far from what was actually going on, and they seemed to hate me for it.

I'd get shoved occasionally, which didn't bother me much. Shoving turned to name calling, and name calling to secret beating. They never did it in front of Josh, and I just accepted it. I was always able to hide it from him, and I didn't want to complicate his life because of how I was being treated, but then he eventually saw it, and it only worsened.

Whenever we were close, his friends made it their mission to humiliate me in front of him. It was like they knew we were together, and they wanted to poke the bear by beating me until he admitted it.

I'd been walking through the halls with a friend when four of his friends called out to me with him at their side. "Fagler." They yelled out. It was dumb and unoriginal, just mashing fag with Tyler, but high school kids laughed like it was the funniest thing they had ever heard. They turned to Josh expectantly, and he smiled at them. They had succeeded in humiliating me, and they wanted to flaunt it. Josh shot me a sympathetic glance as I rushed away.

Josh had tried to comfort me about it that night when he came over to my place. My parents knew Josh as just a friend of mine. I had told him that it didn't bother me, which was a lie, but I didn't want him to worry about it.

It wasn't until a week after that my buttons were pushed beyond the limit. I had just come into the cafeteria and the first person I noticed was Josh, seated beside his girlfriend and friends at the center table. She had perfectly smooth caramel skin and bouncy curly hair. A cheerleader and top academic achiever. A match made in high school heaven, if only he were straight and she wasn't a complete bitch.

My friends were just past them, and as I stepped past their table his girlfriend, Andrea, looked up from her phone long enough to mumble aloud, "can't believe this freak likes my boyfriend." She slurred out the word my, knowing that in her mind Josh was property that she had rightfully claimed.

I stopped in place at their table, and faces glanced to me with anticipation. They wanted a fight, and their eyes sparkled at the possibility. "Maybe you shouldn't mumble about people like they aren't right in front of you." I snapped back distastefully, but softly. I didn't want a loud scene, but I had added enough fuel to their flame. A scene was unavoidable.