Play 54: The Way He Bleed

Behind Sanan were a small group of furies.

We were surrounded within seconds, and even I knew that we were at a disadvantage due to the number of furies. I took a step back slowly and almost fell to my death. Being surrounded by bloodthirsty monsters had caused me to forget that we were on a steep cliff.

"Sanan-san," I started. "You promised Hijikata-san."

"Jun-chan, it's no use talking..." Yuri murmured under her breath. "Look at his eyes. He lost to his own insanity."

I glanced at the man standing a few feet away from us and felt a chill run down my spine. Those eyes...there was no sign of the peaceful, nice and kind man he once was. Grief gripped my heart as tears filled in my eyes. What would the Shinsengumi do? No doubt they would eliminate him, but it would be devastatingly hard. After all, Sanan was their friend, their comrade...

"Quit the pity party and get out of here," Yuri hissed and kicked a fury away. He flew into the trees with a yell, and it was then when all hell broke loose.

Furies tried their best to make a grab for me, but the Byakko twins easily threw them aside like ragdolls. Behind them, Sanan smiled as if he was watching an interesting drama unfold right in front of his eyes.

Then he made eye contact with me, and I knew I had to run.

I didn't know which way to run, but I ran. Through the bushes, through the huge maze of trees. I was lost, I knew, but I had to get away.

Before I knew it, Sanan was right in front of me.

"Well, well, well." He smiled as if we were about to get tea. "This is where it all ends, Yuki-no, Akamine Jun-kun."

I had told everyone in the Shinsengumi that my real name was Akamine Jun, and the fact that Sanan brought it up now was terrifying. He was planning something, and I did know that it involved my death.

I focused my mind at Sanan, trying to get that burst of power that I had several times let out, but nothing happened. Cursing at my unreliable power, I backed away slowly.

In a flash, Sanan had his sword out of the scabbard, and he slashed in my direction. Startled at the sudden movement, I tripped on my foot and landed on the ground with a yelp. Sanan chuckled at my clumsiness.

"What should we do first?" He asked casually as he reached out to grab my ponytail. He pulled so hard that I couldn't suppress a hiss of pain and tears in my eyes. Automatically, my hands went to my hair, trying to pull them out of his tight grasp. "Since you are a demon, you can heal yourself, right?" Sanan tapped his cold blade on my cheek and made a cut. I bit my bottom lip as blood trickled down my face before I felt it heal.

"S-stop...!" My voice came out as hoarse, and flinched when he tugged my hair again.

Sanan ignored me and grinned crazily. "The amount of blood...the amount of furies..." He licked his teeth and I knew I was going to die.

My life didn't flash in front of my eyes--it was the regrets that did. I could have practised on my sword skills so that I could aid the Shinsengumi in battle. I shouldn't throw tantrums, worrying those who cared about me. I could have stopped Souji from drinking that Water Of Life. I could have...

As Sanan brought his blade into the air, ready to spill my blood, his eyes lowered with suspicion before he jumped away, letting go of me. I fell to the ground head-first when I realised what had just happened.

Souji was here.

Relief filled my chest, but at the same time I worried. The sun was rising after all, and Souji would be in pain under the light.

"W-what do you think you're doing here, idiot!?" I shouted without thinking. I got back to my feet unsteadily and glared at the man in front of me.

"What do you mean, Jun?" I could tell that Souji was smiling even though I couldn't see his expression. "I just come here to punish the person who break the promise." He pointed his sword at Sanan.

Sanan didn't seem flustered. "Oh my, another fly has appeared." His grin turned menacing. "Please step away if you treasure your life."

"I don't wish to agree with that crazy person over there," I said. "But he is right. It is none of your business, Souji."

Souji turned to give me a look. "Kondou-san will be sad if you die, so it is my business."

I sighed, feeling a little disappointed despite myself just as when Sanan striked. The blades collided with a loud clang and seconds later Sanan and Souji were engaged in a fight so fast that my demon eyes couldn't catch.

"I would hate to do this, but..." Souji panted and let out a groan of pain as his brown hair turned white. His green eyes changed into the colour of blood, and he slashed at Sanan. Sanan laughed as he dodged, and his hair and eyes turned too. They were serious now.

Desperately, I tried to focus on my succubus powers but no avail. I punched the ground hard, angry at my helplessness for the hundredth time, and brought out my--or Chizuru's--short sword.

Could I attack Sanan while he was busy with Souji? I could try, but I was unsure if I would succeed. I took a deep breath, swallowed and charged towards Sanan's back with a determined yell.

Instead of injuring Sanan like I thought I would, he turned and knocked me away. I slammed against a tree, coughing and choking on my own blood. A few of my ribs were broken, but I knew they would heal within seconds. I stood up and charged again.

"Don't interrupt, Jun!" Souji yelled, but I ignored him. My temples were beginning to throb because of the impact just now, and I was kicked aside again.

It hurt, but I was pushing the pain away. I dropped my sword in a dazed state and was about to try attacking Sanan with my mind when he suddenly changed course. He dodged Souji's sword and took that moment to lung at me. My eyes widened in disbelief . Sanan was taking advantage of Souji's slip, aiming for my heart.

Just as when I thought that it was over, something--or someone--rushed up in front of me just as Sanan sank his blade into him.

There was slience except for the dripping of blood. I stared in shock at the blood pooling on the grass before I could register it into my head.

It was Souji's blood. Souji was stabbed in place of me.