XVIII

Blackfriars Bridge, London

The team were close to the end of the bridge now, still a few minutes away from the restaurant. Charlie had let the others get ahead as he tried to contact his sister but her phone kept going to voicemail.

"Hey, this is Mary. I can't get to the phone right now so leave a message and I'll get back to you ASAP. If you're looking to make an appointment to come to my offices, please call my business phone on -"

He didn't want to leave another message. He would've thought that Mary might have just pulled over to take the call if she was driving, but it probably wasn't a big deal. Still, he couldn't shake the nagging feeling in his chest that something wasn't quite right.

"C'mon Charlie!" Rachel called.

"Yeah, you're slowing us all down," Scarlett added playfully.

For some reason, he couldn't. Frozen still on the bridge, Charlie felt a sudden sharp pain in his chest. The others noticed this, their joyful expressions quickly turning to ones of panic and worry. They began to make their way towards Charlie again when suddenly he was taken off his feet.

The killswitch had worked. Charlie soared through the air and over the side of the bridge, his lifeless body twisting awkwardly before crashing into the cold black water below.

"Charlie!" Scarlett cried, running over to the side of the bridge as she looked for her friend.

The team could only watch as his limp and bloodied body was dragged under the water. They were left speechless, tears streaming down their faces as they cried out for their friend, confounded by what they had just witnessed. Running down the nearby steps, the group looked over the barrier for some sign of life, but as the waves struck the side of the river, pulling everything in its path deeper into oblivion, they all knew deep down that there was certainly nothing still alive in the water.

Charlie Quinn was dead.

To be continued... 

*If you've enjoyed this part we'd really appreciate it if you could leave a comment below with some feedback.