II

RAF Ringway, Manchester - 1941

"Hit me." Reginald Quinn called across the table. The room was dimly lit beside a small bulb above the players. The tension filled the air as Phillip Sadler, the company's pilot, pulled out another card and slapped it down on the table bringing Reginald's total up to 21. A large cheer came from one-half of the room whilst the others groaned and moaned as they realised just how much money they had lost from their bets on the blackjack game.

"You jammy bastard, Quinn. Your luck will run out soon I tell ya!" Daniel Samuels light-heartedly shouted across to Reggie. Samuels and Reggie had been good friends since they had signed up, having gone through basic training with each other before being transferred here.

"Ah calm down Samuels, don't be a bitter loser. You look ugly when you're sad!" Reggie replied.

The celebrations continued for a few more minutes before the team got set up in their bunks for the night. Reggie climbed to his bunk above Daniel, giving him a light kick on the arm which Daniel chose to ignore.

Reggie sat on top of his bed counting the money he had won from the earlier games when he found himself drawn to Judith Lockwood, the only woman in the team. She wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, from what he could see she was just brushing her golden hair and looking at a picture, most likely of her family. She was truly stunning, her golden blonde hair had to be tied up to meet regulations, but Reggie could imagine how beautiful it would look hanging loosely on her shoulders. Her forehead was slightly larger than average but this didn't detract anything from her looks while her large blue eyes looked like they could hypnotise you if you looked at them for too long. It was amazing she had even been able to join in the first place. Rumour had it she had disguised herself as a man to get in, although she was quickly found out when it came to shower time. All of the soldiers had been sent here instead of the standard punishments they would have received for their behaviour ordinarily. Reggie supposed that whilst they had these people willing to fight, it made sense to use them, even as cannon fodder.

In the silence, Reggie was sure he could hear her sobbing slightly. He felt awkward and embarrassed for her as in a group of men, most of whom were sleeping, she wasn't going to be getting much sympathy. Reggie turned his body and was ready to slide off the bed when he was startled by the sudden appearance of Julian Rayne. Julian's narrow, grey eyes were hard to see in the darkness but his wide toothy grin was almost blinding.

"Hey Reggie, what're you doing?" He asked in his soft, slow voice that just added to his creepy appearance. Reggie didn't want to say he was staring at Judith, but Julian quickly worked it out.

"Oh, you got a thing for Lockie, eh? Julian asked. "I say go for it Reg, but beware; as the only girl in here, I imagine a few of the others might have a bit of a fancy for her. Better get in there quick."

"Maybe you should get some sleep, Julian." Reggie whispered in his attempt to get Julian to leave. Julian was nice enough and hadn't actually done anything weird, it was just his general behaviour and the way he acted that had creeped out a few of the other soldiers.

"Just remember pal, the moment you think you know what's going on in a woman's head is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked." Julian slowly patted Reggie on the arm before sinking down off the side of the bed and disappearing into the darkness.

What did that even mean? Reggie thought to himself.

By this time, Judith had gone to sleep and Reggie saw little point in disturbing her further. Reggie stuffed his cash under the pillow but just as he finally lay down, the room's lights turned on, blinding him and waking the others.

"Boys and girl! It is time for you to wake up. Get your gear ready and meet me on the tarmac in five, Operation Sword and Shield is a go!" Colonel Winters called into the room. The team grumbled as those who were asleep were forced to wake up, and those who hadn't yet slept realised they still had a while until they would be able to.

"Sword and shield? Where do they get these bloody names?" Daniel asked Reggie as they grabbed their gear.

"Still better than his first speech when we were assigned here." Reggie changed his accent to mock Colonel Winters own Mancunian one. "You are Zero Company. Do you know why you are called Zero Company, soldiers?"

"No, sir!" Daniel replied.

"You are Zero Company because that is your chance of survival in this war. Zero. Nothing. You will not make it through this war with your current attitude!"

"Positive thoughts." The two grabbed their bags and headed to the runway, laughing as they went.

Continued in Part 3