XVI

Blackfriars Bridge, London

The group continued to saunter along the bridge, carefree and loving life. Charlie and Rachel walked ahead of the others, laughing and joking to themselves as other conversations continued between the others. As Mike and Scarlett discussed how West Ham had been doing in the league this season, Peggy walked alongside them, not really paying attention to any particular conversation. It seemed Charlie had forgotten that Peggy had wanted to discuss her ordeal with Yates, but she didn't mind. She'd tell them all eventually, but now was a time for celebration. If her problem with the pills had taught her one thing it was that keeping things to herself wasn't always the best idea.

"So, heard you and Mike had some fun round at the safe house with Emmanuel before?" Rachel said to Charlie, a wry smile on her face.

"Well, I'm not sure fun was the word, but we got out of it alright. Mike did a pretty decent job calming the kid down. How're you holding up after what happened at the hangar the other week?"

Rachel thought back to that night. The fact she had killed someone still played on her mind nightly, the burning flesh of the man the final thought she had at night and the first she woke to in the morning, his screams echoing around her head as sweat poured off her body. "Yeah, I'm holding up alright," she replied nonchalantly.

A hooded figure marched up the pavement towards them, the group barely paying enough attention to move out of the way. As Charlie walked past the figure, they almost leant directly into him, barging Charlie slightly. He was about to shout after the person but let it slide. It really wasn't worth it.

Further down the path now, the figure pulled out their mobile and dialled the last number which had called them. "Mr Kingston. The approach on Charlie Quinn has been made. He's been fitted with the second killswitch. The plan may proceed." The figure hung up his mobile, dumping it over the side of the bridge into the choppy black water below before disappearing into the nearby train station. 

Continued in Part 17...

*If you've enjoyed this part we'd really appreciate it if you could leave a comment below with some feedback.