III

Scotland Yard, London – Yates's office

With no real leads as to the whereabouts of Yates or Eugene, the team had regrouped in their bosses office, searching drawers, cabinets and even behind picture frames in the hopes of finding some sort of clue that might further their investigation.

Of course, in truth, Peggy, Mike and Rachel were searching the office while Charlie sat in Yates's chair, spinning around and drinking his tea as the others caught him up on the night's earlier events.

"So let me get this straight, Atlin was a spy?" He asked, a large grin on his face as though the whole concept excited him.

Placing a painting of a lush green meadow back onto the wall, Rachel turned to answer him, "No one is saying Atlin was a spy. All we know for sure is that she wanted Jack's death to look like suicide so there's a better chance that the attack was premeditated rather than a spur of the moment thing. Hopefully if – sorry, when - Jack wakes up we'll be able to find out some more information."

As Mike tipped the contents of a drawer onto the desk – much to Charlie's disdain – he interjected into the conversation, "You did well, Rach. Without you who knows what might have happened to Jack."

"Oh, thank you Mike," she replied, "I didn't really do much other than get hit in the face, but your thanks are still appreciated."

"Don't be silly," Charlie said, "The way I hear it, without you, Jack would have bled out there and then. You should be proud." He gave Rachel a quick wink and a grin before returning to spinning on his chair. Rachel didn't reply, but she could feel her cheeks begin to glow red slightly, secretly pleased she had been able to help.

"Anyone got anything yet?" Peggy asked having ignored the previous conversation.

"Not yet," Mike said, "To be fair, considering what we've dealt with, I would have been pretty surprised if he had just left something for us to find in his office." Placing the drawer back into the cabinet, Mike moved over to Peggy, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder, "Maybe we should call it a night. It's late, I think we're all tired and we're not going to get anything done if we can't stay awake."

Peggy didn't want to admit she was exhausted, but the heavy black bags under her eyes told a different story. "Fine. We'll meet up here tomorrow and take it from there."

The office was soon left empty as the group all returned to their respective homes, still unaware of what had happened to their friend Atlin. No one had seen where she had gone after leaving the station. Despite what had happened, the others couldn't help but worry for their friend and what she had got herself wrapped up in. 

Continued in Part 4...

*If you've enjoyed this part we'd really appreciate it if you could leave a comment below with some feedback.