XVII

M25 – Brentwood to London

Happily singing along to the radio in her car, Mary remained completely unaware of the killswitch device that had been placed on her shoulder. She continued merrily on down the motorway when she noticed her phone ringing, a call from Charlie. Mary took a quick glance towards the mobile, tempted to reach over and switch it to speaker phone but she decided to focus on driving for now. She'd be in London shortly and then she could call Charlie before they met up.

In her rear-view mirror, Mary could see a large Range Rover tailgating her, its headlights a blinding white. She refused to speed up and had only just moved into this lane so it was up to the other driver to sort themselves out.

Then, the car behind pushed her. It was only a very slight contact, the bumpers barely scraping one another, but it was definitely a push. Mary refused to move, though, staring into her rear-view mirror for a moment as she attempted to get a look at the driver behind her. The Range Rover was completely blacked out and with the lights so blinding it wasn't possible to see who it was behind her.

Another push. Harder this time. Mary was getting frustrated now and finally decided to move over to the next lane believing it was better to be safe than sorry. However, the Range Rover moved over to the same lane, still behind her, pushing her once again. Mary began panicking now. Was this person really trying to run her off the road?

Although she hated the idea of it, Mary put her foot to the pedal, breaking the speed limit as her car pushed eighty miles per hour. Just like when she had changed lanes, the Range Rover matched her speed, pushing her once again, even harder than before. Mary could feel her car skid slightly with this push and she knew she was running out of options. The car couldn't go much faster so Mary tried to move across the lanes again, now driving along the hard shoulder.

This time, the Range Rover didn't change lanes with her. Mary went to breathe a sigh of relief, but her elation was quickly quashed as she saw what the large black vehicle was doing. The Range Rover sped up, now just slightly behind Mary's car in the next lane when it swerved across, the front bumper crashing into the rear wheel arch of the small hatchback.

Mary's car spun out, smashing into the metal barrier alongside her. Before she knew it, the car had flipped over the barrier, spinning through the air momentarily before crashing down the embankment, rolling over again and again, smacking hard into a tree before coming to a stop upside down. Blood poured down Mary's face, her vision blurry, but she remained conscious for long enough to see the car speed away. Everything ached, but she tried to reach for her mobile, Charlie ringing once again. The funky ringtone echoed around the car as smoke poured out of the engine, her fingers just inches away from the phone.

Everything went black for Mary as her eyes succumbed to the pressure to close, unable to call for help. 

Continued in Part 18...

*If you've enjoyed this part we'd really appreciate it if you could leave a comment below with some feedback.