XIV

Blackfriars Bridge, London

Walking across the bridge to the south bank of the River Thames, the Deadbeat team stopped for a moment, gazing down the river towards Embankment station, where it had all begun so many months ago now. Peggy thought of Nick, but unlike usual where she was filled with regret, pain, and guilt over what had happened, she was instead reminded of the good times the two had shared. A warmth filled her heart for the first time in who knows how long.

"C'mon slow coach," Charlie called out as he noticed Peggy dragging behind slightly, deep in her own thoughts, "Mary's meeting us at the restaurant in fifteen minutes."

Peggy smiled as she picked up the pace, walking alongside the others once again. Although they had lost friends in more ways than one – Nick, Atlin, Broderick and even Yates – those that remained had all grown closer since the Embankment Incident.

"Let's all get a picture together," Rachel said, "I don't think we've had a single picture all together since Deadbeat was started."

"No, not a chance. I hate having my picture taken." Mike said.

"Oh c'mon, it's just a bit of fun, Mike. All you've got to do is smile and keep your eyes open." Scarlett added.

The picture was taken and of course Mike failed to smile or keep his eyes open.

Peggy tapped Charlie on the shoulder letting the others walk slightly further ahead after the picture. After what had happened with Eugene and especially her encounter with Yates, she needed to tell someone what had happened. "I'm sorry for lying to you and Mike about coming to the safe house. I just...I felt I needed to find answers about Nick and...well, I'm sorry."

He smiled back at her, "It's alright, Peg. It all worked out in the end. As much as I would have wanted it to be me that put a bullet between his eyes, he's dead now, and the world's a better place for it."

Peggy slowed slightly, wanting to confide in someone as to what had truly happened with Yates, "Charlie, at the Harkness house, something strange happened to me."

Before she could elaborate, Charlie's phone began to ring, "Sorry, Peg, I just need to take this. Tell me about what happened in a second, yeah?"

Smiling politely, Peggy continued to walk, the sound of her friends laughing just ahead as she took in her surroundings. Whatever had happened at the Harkness's, no matter how strange or inexplicable, it felt strangely right. Deep down in Peggy's stomach, her gut feeling about the whole situation was a good one.

Catching up with the others, Charlie spoke, "That was Mary. She's running a little late because of one of her clients so we can take our time getting to the restaurant. To tell you the truth, I had a burger before leaving so I'm hoping that will settle before we're there."

"So that's why you were in the kitchen so long!" laughed Scarlett. 

Continued in Part 15...

*If you've enjoyed this part we'd really appreciate it if you could leave a comment below with some feedback.