XXVIII. All I Want Is You.

"l I would not wish any companion in the world but you"

- William Shakespeare

Andrea Russett

One knock.

Two knocks.

I got up off my couch and walked to my apartment door and opened the door, surprised to see Kenny Holland standing there, his hands stuffed in his cargo short pockets.

A small, fragile smile spread across his face as he pulled one hand out of his pocket to give me a wave, "can I speak to you, please?"

My eyes widened in the surprise that he spoke first, "yeah, of course," I laughed shyly, trying to ease the awkward mood, only causing it to get more awkward.

I led him into the living room, where he and I had spent time together many times before. Despite our hangouts, he acted as if he hadn't ever stepped foot inside my apartment.

I sat on the couch and he sat next to me, keeping four feet, sort of, in between us.

"I was wondering, but why?" His voice suddenly cracked out of nowhere, causing me to choke on my words, unsure of how to comfort him.

"Why, Andrea? Why did you lead me on for so long? Why did you choose him, over me? Why am I not good enough for you?"

My throat was dry. I could not properly form my words, for I was scared that he might interpret it all wrong.

"Why?" He asked once more, his voice growing more hoarse each time.

"Kian and I," I paused, trying to find the correct way to word it, "we just have some unresolved feelings towards eachother. We really did try to go out seperate ways permanently, but it's kind of like fate. You know? It was almost as if the world pulled us back together, in our most vulnerable state. Magnets, kind of."

He nodded slowly, trying to make sense of what I had told him, "am I not good enough?"

"No, you are!" I quickly said, "I mean, I just —I don't know Kenny."

"But I'm not Kian. I'm not like him, right?" He looked down and clasped his hands together, "I forgot I'm not as reckless, hilarious, and wild as he is. That's what you love about him, that's what I don't have."

My head began to throb in frustration, "you're like talking to a brick wall," I muttered. "Kenny Holland, stop. Just, just stop. You are good enough. We just weren't meant to be together, and if we were, I'm sure that the world will let us know, when the world is ready, of course."

"I never should have come," he stood up and looked back at me, "I'm sorry for bothering you Andrea."

The door opened and Anna and my mom walked in, startled at first to see Kenny.

"I'm so sorry to disrupt," my mom spoke, "we can wait outside the door if you'd like."

"No ma'am," Kenny told her, and looked at me, then back at her, "I was just leaving." He walked past them and left, closing the door behind him.

"What was that all about?" Anna asked, setting some groceries on my kitchen counter.

I got up to help unpack the groceries they supplied me with, "something irrelevant and stupid."

"Tell us," my mom spoke as she put some water bottles into my refrigerator.

I sighed, knowing she would not let me brush off the Kenny situation. "He likes me mom. Kenny likes me. And he came here to ask why he wasn't good enough. He compared himself to Kian."