XXXVII: Into Thin Air

"PRINCESS MIYAKO!! You saved me!!"

I shoved him off me as he pushed himself onto me, his annoying voice already irritating my nerves.

"Shut up." I snapped. I tried to ignore the fact that he knew who I already was, probably being told from Pain. And the heavy feeling in my soul from Itachi and that silver haired man made me much more vulnerable and emotional than I should be. I had sat there, after Itachi left, for what seemed like hours upon hours, trying to keep myself together. I couldn't break down then, not when I had to honor his request. I had to be stable. Not only for my sake, but for Sasuke's.

Why, out of all the times he could have told me, did it have to be at that moment?

"Does that mean.. Does that mean you're on our side now?" Tobi asked in confusion.

"No, idiot. They were going to kill you."

"Hmm? Now that I think about it, aren't you supposed to be with Sasuke Uchiha right now?"

"He left me behind." I said. That technically wasn't a lie.

And after this, I knew I couldn't go to Itachi and Sasuke. I didn't want to go anymore, knowing that all I would see is Itachi's dead body.

"Aww! I'm so sorry!!"

"He sent me here to stop the Leaf Shinobi. And you just happened to be in the way.

Speaking of that, you're an Akatsuki. But why are you so weak?" I wondered.

He laughed gleefully in response.

"Shhh!" I may have used my transportation jutsu and enveloped us in my invisibility jutsu that hides our chakra and visible presence, but it didn't hide our noise. And we were only a mere 400 feet from them, and I know Kakashi, with his sharp hearing, would definitely hear us if we made any more noise.

"Oops! Sorry!" He apologized with no sincerity at all in his tone.

And then he disappeared from my sight.

That son of a bitch.

I rushed after him, smiling when I saw his back to me.

Just as I landed next to him and felt the shocked eyes of the Leaf Shinobi on me, a creature emerged from the ground from Tobi's other side.

If I do recall correctly, it was the same thing that interrupted mine and Pain's fight..

"How did it go?" Tobi asked him, ignoring my presence.

"Its over." The creature, Zetsu if I recall correctly, spoke.

No.

Even though I knew it was going to happen, I couldn't hold back my shock.

"We keep getting interference! Miyako!!" I heard Naruto call out.

"Sasuke Uchiha has won. Itachi Uchiha is dead."

I wasn't the only one in shock.

"What?! I don't believe it!!" Tobi gasped, putting his hands up.

"Miyako!!! Do you believe it?!"

My eyes were clasped shut as I tried to steady my breathing, forcing my tears back. I ground my teeth together in frustration, my hands trembling.

"Just kidding." Tobi said after.

"Its as I expected."

My eyes shot open when Tobi's tone shifted into one of seriousness. It was deeper and more masculine, different from the way he had acted before. And the energy around him now had shifted, and it made me more uncomfortable.