XVI: Realization

"What do you mean 'no'?"

"I mean no."

"And why 'no'?" I snapped at him, as he stood there with his back to me, his hands in his pockets.

He shot me a harsh glare in response. In that simple look I could tell something was really bothering him.

"Since when do you refuse a fight from me?!"

"I simply do not wish to fight you." His glare sharpened as he turned his body to me.

I shook my head in disgust as I watched him.

"You're being childish. Just because this is the first time ever you've-"

"That has nothing to do with the reason why I do not wish to fight you." He spoke lowly, taking a step to me as his angered expression seemed to soften.

"Then why the hell not?!" I shouted in annoyance.

He continued to approach me slowly.

"We'll have plenty of time for that when I become Orochimaru's vessel."

Sasuke towered before me as he watched me with wary eyes.

Orochimaru's vessel.

From all the years I spent with Sasuke that fact only flashed through my mind a few times. And each time, I got more and more excited for that day to come.

I had forgotten the entire reason why he was here. Father had what Sasuke needed in order to take revenge on his brother, while Sasuke was the next to perfect vessel that Father was after. They both had their own motives, and they would most likely end up destroying each other in the end.

I knew the moment Father would take Sasuke, he wouldn't take pity on him and destroy his soul.

That's just how merciless Father is. I thought of myself as ruthless, and everyone who met me, if they lived, saw me as a ruthless and bloodthirsty killer.

That was until I discovered the truth of what Father was trying so hard to control inside of me.

There was a time I hated Sasuke; there were many times when I had the opening to kill him. And I tried, a few times, but Kabuto would interfere each time.

But now, after what I experienced with Sasuke, after he injured the thing I most treasured about myself, my eyes, I realized something.

If Shiroryuu hadn't interfered, I would be dead right now.

Yeah, I was under someone else's control. But Sasuke had almost killed me. He was the only person that had come close to killing me, besides Father.

And it was at that moment that I discovered my fear.

Death.

I don't want to die. I never paid much attention to that topic before, since I figured my abilities were strong enough to prevent me from falling into death's hands.

And beyond my abilities, Shiroryuu was there to protect me.

No wonder Father said I was impossible to kill. Both him and Sasuke experienced the reason why.

"Miyako."

Sasuke. The only other person I had developed some sort of relationship with. Before my incident with him, I saw him as the most annoying and egoistic person I knew. That's still true, but the only difference is that I hate him.

Well, hated him.

But now, after the almost fatal experience I went through at his hands, I realized something.