Chapter 12

"Ok I got one, Han solo or Indiana Jones?" He asked.

"What?! That's like asking to pick your favorite child."

He laughed, "Alright, alright. Oh! Star trek or star wars?"

"Can I just kill myself? Is that an option?"

He went into a fit of laughter, rolling in the soft grass.

"How can you choose? Choosing between those two is literally impossible."

He sat back up, twirling a strand of my hair around his finger, "Indiana Jones and Star trek."

I gasped, "You monster."

"Yeah I know, I'm such a monster." he exaggerated.

I was stared at the bright light that lit up the sky. The moon sure was beautiful tonight.

I turned my head toward Natsu to see him already staring at me with loving eyes, making my heart explode.

"W-What?" I said, flustered.

"Nothing." He smiled, sitting up, "Well I should probably take you home. It's pretty late."

"Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired." I stretched.

Today was a long day. We went to the park, the poetry slam, Erza's job... I'm so tired my body is moving by itself.

"Goodnight Luce, I'll pick you up tommorow for the art show!"

"Yeah, o-ok." I noticed my words slurred and I wasn't walking straight. I felt like I was going to fall face flat on the pavement.

I gasped. A pair of strong, muscular hands grabbed me, startling me. I looked back and saw Natsu with a straight face heading toward my house.

"W-What are you doing? I can walk perfectly fine you know."

"Says the person who was about to fall face first on my driveway."

"Whatever." I mumbled.

"Do you have your keys?" He asked.

"Yeah, they're in my back pocket."

I saw his face completely darken. What did I say? All I said was that they were in my back pocket.

"Why are just standing there? Grab my keys I'm tired."

"A-Are you sure?' He said.

"Yeah just grab them. I don't have all night."

"Ok, whatever you say." I saw a smirk plastered on his face.

What is this idiot planning?

He reached his hand into my back pocket, but he didn't move it right away. Instead he kept his hand there.

A normal person would have grabbed the keys and put them in the door but, this dense idiot is here smirking with his hand in my back pocket.

"Are you going to take your hand out of my pocket and give me my keys?"

"Oh sorry, I couldn't find the keys." He chuckled.

"Whatever pervert."

I opened the door, "hello!" I yelled.

No one was home.

"You're here by yourself?" He asked.

"I guess so." I walked to the kitchen, "do you want something to drink or something?"

"No thanks, I'm going to head out. My mom is probably worried about me."

"Ok well, I'll see you tommorow."

With that, he left.

Seeing that door close made me feel... sad.

I would have never thought we would be so close in such a short amount of time. He's made such an impact on my life. He makes me feel comfortable, safe, and he makes me feel beautiful.

Oh what am I saying?

It was about ten at night when I heard the door open from my bedroom. My body tensed. Mom doesn't usually get home until midnight or one.

What if it's a robber? Well if it is he's out of luck, we don't have anything valuable here.

Wait! What if it's a murderer? I heard about a few murders not too far from here. What if he's here!? What if I'm next?!

"Lucy!"

He knows my name!

Ok Lucy, it's ok. Just breath in and out-

A loud, powerful bang shook my door.

"He's here!" I whispered.

I hid under my covers hoping he would go away. Not everyday a serial killer comes to your room to try to kill you.

"Lucy, please open the door." I recognized the voice.

"D-Dad?" At this point I was shaking in fear. I'd rather let the serial killer in than him. I held the reminder that my dad left the last time he was here.

"N-No, I don't want you here!" My voice trembled.

"Lucy, I just want to apologize for what happened last time. I wasn't in my right mind at the time-"

"You weren't in your right mind!?" I ran to my door and slammed it open, "you did this!" I lifted my sleeve, "there's no excuse for what you did!"

"I know, I'm sorry." His apology didn't even seem genuine, it felt rehearsed, forced.

"Get out." I whispered.

"What?"

"I said get out! Go do whatever you do when you're not here. Just leave!"

"Don't talk to me like that!" His voice raised, booming through the halls.

"Or what? Are you going to hit me again? Put me in my place? Stop trying to act like a father because me and you both know that you're not."

I saw him raise his hand. I closed my eyes and waited for the impact, but nothing came. I opened one of my eyes to see him standing there, staring at me with his hand still up. I could see the steam coming out of his ears and his whole face shriveled up.

"Just tell your mom I was here."

Without another word he left, slamming the door behind him.

I let out a sigh of relief. I need to be more cautious of what I say. There's no telling what he would have done to me to or what he's capable of doing.

Ever since I was little he always reminded me everyday how I was a mistake and how I shouldn't even be here. Everyday my parents would drink their hearts out, I was worried, but I didn't think anything of it until it started getting worse. The arguments, the screaming, the crying. One day I remember going downstairs to see my mom on the floor, not moving, just sitting there, helpless.

He hit her.

The next day he put her in the hospital. Everyday my mom would tell me how it was her fault and she shouldn't have talked to him like that, but I knew better.

I wish I could have a relationship with my dad, I want to be a daddy's girl like the other girls in my class, I want the father daughter dances, I want to believe that he loved me, but in reality that would never happen.

Everyday I fear he would come back and lose control and take it out on me and my mom. No one should ever have to fear for their life. Especially from someone that you love.

I felt my phone buzz underneath me.

It was a text from Natsu.

"Just wanted to make sure you were alright, goodnight." He put a heart emoji at the end.

I found myself smiling at my phone. I replied, "goodnight Natsu."