Chapter 9

"What a long night," I yawned walking inside.

"Yeah it's almost midnight." I quickly turned and saw my mom in the kitchen making a drink.

"What are you doing home so early?"

"I got off early today." She continued stirring her drink.

"Oh. Well I'm going off of bed. I'm pretty tired." I stretched. I was about to walk up the stairs, but the seriousness in her voice caught my attention.

"Stop. Come here."

I sighed. I really don't want to have a serious conversation at midnight.

"Sit," She said.

"Mom im tired, I don't feel like doing this-"

"Just sit, please." I could hear the sadness in her voice making me worry. I sat in the chair farthest from her, "What do you want to talk about?" I asked.

"So, how was school?" She took a sip of her drink.

"Fine." I stared at her, trying to see if she's trying to play with me.

"That's good. What about that counselor of yours? How is she?"

"What are you doing?" I asked, glaring at her.

"What do you mean? I'm asking about your day-"

"Never in seventeen years of my life have you asked me about my day. Now I'm going to ask again, what are you doing?"

She put her drink on the table. She sighed, "I really need to talk to you about something."

"What is it?"

"I'm sorry."

"W-What?" I said, confused.

"I said I'm sorry. For everything. I know I need to change and I promise I will."

"You've said that for the last ten years of my life." I whispered, "and not once have you ever kept your promise."

"And I'm sorry-"

"Sorry for what? All those time you've went out to a bar and drank your life away leaving your ten year old daughter at home alone, or are you sorry for the times where you've forgotten about me and left me alone to drown in my own misery! Making me feel alone! You've never been there for me, so why do you think you can make a change now!"

"I'm trying to fix this! Can't you see that I'm trying to fix us!" She yelled.

Tears were burning my eyes as I tried to hold them in, "you're seventeen years too late for that." I ran upstairs and slammed the door to my room. I slid down my door and brought my knees close to my chest.

"I'm sorry Lucy!" She yelled, covering her mouth, "I'm so sorry..." I could hear her muffled cries from the other side, "I never meant to hurt you."

I climbed in my bed and did the only thing I knew what to do in these situations. I watched the stars.

They were beautiful tonight. They were shining as bright as ever.

Even though we don't have many, I do have one good memory of me and my mom. We used to always look at the stars at night. We would sit out in the grass and count how many stars there were. She even taught me about the constellations.

But, those days are over.

I set my alarm and closed my eyes letting sleep take over.

Over and over I kept hearing the doorbell ring. I groaned and groaned and tossed and turned in my bed waiting for the nuisance to go away.