tn✌

In the midst of telling stories, they drifted off one by one. Waking up felt like hell, even more so when everyone realised that it was the day they all were going their separate ways.

Grace, Holly, PJ, and Dan were all still sleeping when Kaydence woke up.

She started to sit up, only to realize that someone had their arms around her waist. "Stay, don't leave me just yet." It was Phil, whispering in her ear.

Spencer laughed softly, looking at how bright her friend's face turned, even in the dim light.

"So," Chris started, stretching out his arms. "What's life like for you guys at home?"

"Every morning we have to drag Grace out of bed." Spencer replied, swiveling around.

"That's almost like with Dan, except you don't really want to do that." Phil remarked.

"We all value our sleep," grinned Kay.

They kept talking, until everyone else got up.

Dan's hair was more curled than during the day, resulting in him covering his head until he could get to a straightener. Grace's eyeliner had wiped off, so she ran off to get some real quick.

They quickly got ready and started off to the airport in a rented van. That's when Dan and Phil asked about the tickets.

"Um, PJ, Chris, do you have the tickets?" Phil asked softly, looking at both of them.

"No, remember, we gave them to you. Did you lose our tickets?" Chris almost started panicking, but a look from Grace calmed him down (a little bit).

"And, we kinda blew all our money," Dan added bashfully.

"Pop let me borrow a ton of extra money, we can get you new tickets." Kay reassured, mentally praying to anything and everything.

"Bad news, the flight we were supposed to be on is full." Phil sighed, checking on his phone.

"You guys can come on our flight and stay with us for a while!" Spencer offered sweetly.

"That sounds better than going back home," PJ admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Let's hurry up, so we can get home!" Holly chimed in. "All the cousins are gonna be there to get us off the plane."

"I'm so sorry. The cousins are well, just wait..." Kay sighed, smacking her head off the headrest.

Spencer laughed, looking at Chris and Phil. "Their family isn't bad, mine's really dysfunctional. My mom and sister are gonna be there to greet me."

"Older brother and mom for me," Grace added, heaving a sigh. "Hopefully the dick I call a sperm donor won't be there."

"Fuck," Dan groaned, facepalming. "We've got to call our families and tell them our change of plans."

"That sounds like fun," Kay offhandedly remarked, tapping away on her phone.

She got some funny looks, but the guys just shook their heads and called the fam.

That's gonna be fun.

--

Leaving the gate, the first person Kaydence saw was her grandpa. The wizened old man stood tall, his lined face betraying no emotion as the girl all but tackled him. He just stood with outstretched arms, but his eyes held the glint of the proudest parent in the world.

"Hey, Grandpa," she grinned, kissing his cheek like she always did.

He scowled, launching into his speech. "Goddammit, Kay, hay is for damn horses. That ain't a proper greeting."

"Your plan worked," she added, ignoring the standard rant. "Do you want to meet the guys?"

"You think I'd go through all that trouble and not want to meet the fucking people? Steer me in the right direction."

She pointed to the group of guys awkwardly standing away from the reuniting families. "The one with black hair is Phil."

"That's who I spoke with on the phone? Funny, I pictured him differently..." Grandpa muttered, walking towards the guys.

~

Spencer saw her mother and sister right off the bat. Her sister's Technicolor hair stood out from the brown, red, and denim of Kay and Holly's crowd. Her mother was every bit as proud as the grandfather, but instead of keeping it in, she told her youngest daughter how happy she was with her achievements. Her sister instituted a group hug, pulling mother and daughters into a tight group.

"Mom hasn't shut up since you left." Her sister, Rachelle, laughed, slinging an arm around their mother's shoulders. "And don't worry, I haven't shown her the Instagram picture yet."

"What Instagram picture?" Mom asked sharply, suddenly worried.

"About that," Spencer began awkwardly, shooting Rachelle a dark look. "I met this guy..."

~

Grace's mother was harder to spot, what with her being shorter than nearly everyone else there. Grace flat out shoved people out of her way, throwing elbows to stomachs and faces. A tight embrace followed hushed congrats, ending with marked disappointment when her father was reported to be sulking in the back of the crowd.

"Did you have to bring him?" Grace sighed, covering her eyes with her hand.

Her mom patted Grace's shoulder in a comforting way. "He's the only way I could've gotten here, baby."

"If you would've asked Spence's mom, or Kay and Hol's family, they would've picked you up."

"He wants to see you, sweetheart. He missed you."

"He isn't capable of emotion, Mom, he's an empty-souled bastard!"

And with those sharp words, Grace stalked her way over to the guys.

~

Holly ran to her dad first. As she hugged him, a warmth filled her chest; She forgot how much she missed her family on these trips.

"Okay, who's the guy?" Her dad said cheerfully.

"What?" Holly played innocent. Her dad wasn't supposed to know about PJ yet.

"My dad tells me stuff too." He chuckled, pointing to the girls' grandfather. "So which poor soul is it?"

"Not telling you."

"Is it one of the ones with that weird floppy hair?"

"No, Dad."

"The one who Grace is hugging?"

"No, Dad."

"That means it's the one with the really curly hair, right?"

"Yeah, Dad," she sighed, a smile finally working its way onto her lips. "That's PJ."