tw ✌

The day was exhausting; fan events always were. As the four girls went back to their hotel, they showed off their favorite gifts of the day.

"I got a box of gummy worms!" Spencer sang, shaking the candy. "And this time it was a full box."

"You and those gummy worms. But I got something even more amazing. Like, no lie, I was looking at this charm online and I almost bought this exact one. It's like this guy read my mind," Holly dramatically whispered, showing the rest of them the newest charm on her cluttered bracelet.

"Wow. I can top that, though. I got fan art." Grace pulled out the painted pages, displaying the careful brushstrokes.

"Whoa..." Kaydence breathed, trailing her fingers along the painted Grace. "This is amazing..."

"What did you get?" Holly arched an eyebrow, glancing at the youngest of the group.

Kay's eyes widened, a grin appearing on her face. She raised up her arm, showing the My Chemical Romance bracelet. "I got this."

"Cool. I still don't see why you say Helena isn't their best song," Grace remarks, looking out of the tinted window of the rental car.

"That's because it isn't! In my opinion, it's either Fake Your Death, or Disenchanted, or Cemetery Drive. The raw emotion pour--"

Spencer clapped a hand over Kay's mouth. "That's enough fighting, alright?"

"But we aren't fighting," muttered Grace, crossing her arms.

"It's been a long day, guys. We should really relax, maybe go swimming or something." Holly smiled, trying to diffuse the little tension in the car.

"I wanna just go get on the internet, possibly film a vlog," sighed Spencer wistfully.

Kay shook off Spencer's hand. "I'm gonna see if anyone's posted pics from the event." She dug her phone from her pocket, the battered pink case finally coming free.

On Instagram, she looked up the tags acoustic laughter, may2015, and fan event. One of the first pictures that popped up was of them and that group of men.

Before she could share her discovery, the car pulled into the hotel they were staying at.

The four girls hastily pulled their hoods up, stepping out of the car with their suitcases and hustling into the hotel. The lobby was virtually empty, devoid of life except for a young woman manning the desk.

"Hi, how may I help you?" She said cheerfully, not even noticing who she was speaking to.

"We're under a reservation for either Lidner or Hayes," Holly said softly, faking a Southern accent.

"Alright. Here's the keys, room 606." The woman eyed the girls for a moment, before leaning in. "I won't tell anyone who you guys are. Have a nice night!"

"You too," Kay returned cheerfully, grabbing Holly's elbow. "Let's check this place out!"

"Room first, Kay. Please." Grace groaned, shaking her head.

"But, Gra-ace! It'll be fun! And Spence, we can vlog while we explore!" Holly attempted to hide her excitement, but failed.

'They're like children," Grace thought with an audible sigh.

"Please? I'll get you a few pomegranates when we're back home!" Kay's eyes went wide and glittering as she wrung her hands together.

"Room first, we need to drop off our shit before we do anything." Grace muttered grudgingly, dragging her suitcase towards the elevator.

"Yes!" Holly and Kay cheered in unison, following the grumpy girl with grinning faces. Spencer laughed softly to herself, shaking her head as she walked calmly to the elevator.

Grace jabbed the button a bit aggressively, waiting a few seconds between each attempt.

Spencer gently pulled her friend's hand away from the button, pointing up to the display. "Hon, it's coming. Just wait."

And come it did. When the doors opened, three men were standing surrounding the fourth, who was spread out across the carpeted floor.

The ones standing slowly turned, the confused look giving way to embarrassment as they realized who was waiting to enter the elevator.

PJ, the artist behind Grace's fan art, was the first to recover his wits, speaking with a laugh in his voice. "Well, fancy meeting you here."

They guy who gave Kaydence her bracelet, Phil, was the next to speak. "Sorry about Dan. Existential crisis and all. This happens in the lift at home fairly often."

Spencer's mismatched eyes widened at the word 'existential', her mouth falling open into a perfect circle. "He has those too?"

"Why do I even exist...?" muttered Dan miserably from the floor, his voice barely audible.

Phil nodded yes to Spencer's question, while kneeling next to his friend. "Come on, Dan. Those nice YouTuber girls are trying to get in the lift. We can talk to them if you get up."

Dan groaned, rolling onto his back. "Why won't you let me question the meaning of these pitiful human lives in peace?"

Chris sighed, crossing his arms. "I'm half tempted to fly back to England now if he's gonna be this depressing."

Holly stifled a laugh, covering her mouth. She too was half tempted, but instead of leaving, she wanted to get to know this like-minded stranger.

Kay glanced between Spencer and Phil for a moment before crouching down next to the boy on the floor. "Hi, Dan. Listen to me, okay? You exist because you are special and important. You have something that no one else in the entire world does, and in some way, shape, or form you can contribute it."

During her little speech, Phil stood up, crossing his arms as he stood next to Spencer. "I don't know if talking helps this sort of thing. I can't really talk him out of it..."

"The girls here are really helpful with talking it out, even if it doesn't look like it." And at that moment, neither Grace nor Holly looked like they were good at it, with the former staring at the wall sleepily and the latter staring at Chris with a mix of interest and apprehension.

Phil laughed, his tongue poking out of the side of his mouth. "Well, as they say, there's more than meets the eye."

Kay kept speaking softly, making wide gestures with her hands. "Spencer might even want to get to know you..."

Dan slowly sat up, his eyes going wide. "No fucking way." He stared at the girl beside him, disbelief written on his face.

"Yes, way. Come on, the two of you can discuss the futility of life later, that is, if y'all wanna hang out." She sent a cursory glance around the group, and as they nodded their assent, a grin broke across her face.

PJ helped Dan stand up, while a blushing Phil aided an equally red Kay.

Chris shot a shy smile at Holly. "Well, let's get to it. I can't believe these awesome famous girls wanna hang with us idiots."