birthday bash

Sweet 16's are supposed to be big, but not too big that you get complaints from your neighbors.

Luckily for Jade and her friend, they did. They are celebrating their birthdays on one day.

Jade's birthday is April 4th, and her friend, Hannah's, is April 7th. They were to celebrate it on April 6th.

Jade had invited her family and Hannah invited her family too. It was going to be a packed house.

They were celebrating it at the beach house they used for the New Year's party three months ago.

"So do you feel old?" The cliche question was asked by Tara.

Jade shook her head. She didn't feel older or younger. Just the same old girl who was living the same day over and over again as it felt.

Jade was decorating with Niko and her one cousin. It wasn't Kayson, but he was coming. This cousin was much younger, eight years old. He was just taping streamers to the walls carelessly.

Tara was flabbergasted by how quick Jade has aged. She remembered when Jade was three and running around with nothing on but a swimmy for the pool. Or when Jade was six and starting kindergarten scared she wasn't going the make friends. And then Niko came into the picture.

Niko and Jade met when she was in second, and he was in fourth. Tara wasn't sure how they met, but she was happy Jade made a friend.

Hannah came in twenty minutes later and helped decorate too. And soon after, families were pouring in.

Hannah was happy she was celebrating her birthday with Jade. They had been friends since sixth grade, and it's been a dream to share a birthday with someone close to her.

Niko was on setting up food. All he had to do move the food from the van to the kitchen. Easy peazy lemon squeezy.

But there always had to be one disaster in each occasion. This one was Niko running into someone with a tray of vegetables.

"Oh I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to." Niko said bending down to pick the veggies up.

"Nah, that's ok. There has to be one disaster for it to be finalized." Niko knew that voice. It was Kayson's.

Niko blushed when he found out it was Kayson who he bumped into. "I'm seriously sorry though."

Kayson laughed and said "chill Niko, it's fine. Nothing stained so I'm good. I'll just have a faint aroma of broccoli and celery on me."

Niko played with his lip ring and nodded. "Ok."

"Thanks." Niko thanked Kayson when he helped him pick up all the vegetables.

Kayson winked. "No one will know some of the vegetables were on the ground. I gotta go, someone wants me. See ya Niko."

Niko ran a hand through his hair and picked the tray up and walked to the kitchen with flushed cheeks.

"Are you good Niko?" Jade asks and Niko nods not telling her about her cousin and his clash.

Jade nods and helps Niko get the rest of the food for the party.